Agnostic.com

70 7

Do you think all religious are equal?

Some Atheists claim that all religions or religious philosophies are the same since they are equally false. I assert that them being equally false is irrelevant. Ideologies and belief systems embed particular values and ideas who have different consequences on human behavior. Consequences on the human behavior is what really matters as this is how it truly affects society. Not all religions are equal because they represent different religious philosophies and set of rules in the same way that godless ideologies such as marxism or capitalism are.

Do you believe that all religions are equal? What do you mean by it? This issue underlines the Christianity vs. Islam debate. Please defend your case here.

Chris90045 5 Sep 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

70 comments (51 - 70)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religions are expressions of an early societies attempts to explain what they did not understand, to make sense of the world.
As such entire paradigms of Dogma are built around concepts creating worldviews through which these cultures views the world we all share.
From inside these worldviews, to a non skeptical person, a person not adept at critical thought, these paradigms of Dogma can seem to simply explain everything. Since this is a basic human desire, to know and understand, it is very easy for people to simply accept someone else figured it all out and not have to do all that hard, deep thinking themselves, in the same way kids at school avoid reading Dickens or the like. They take the cliff notes from a mouthpeice in authority, and never think about it.
They share commonalities on some things, and great differences in others and are representations of vastly different cultures.
Are cultures superior to one another?
Or rather are we individuals more comfortable in one culture or another?
Apples and Oranges.

Are all atheist equal?

It's not, I think,a particular religion itself that is more damaging or enriching than another, but how the actions of its priestly class, particularly in the higher echelons of its hierarchical power structure, shape the way in which it is practiced. The professional practioners of the three monotheistic systems have long tended toward outright misogyny - from Judaism's view that wives are chattel to the insistence within some Muslim societies on cloistering away womenfolk on the pretext of protecting their virtue - and have not shied away from employing violence both to expand and solidify their control (as in the Crusades, the persecution of "witches" and widespread use of burning hertics alive, jihad, and contemporary Islamist terrorism).

Buddhism, on the other hand, has by and large remained a religion of non-violence (the recent persecution of the Rohingya notwithstanding), perhaps because it has traditionally lacked a powerful class of priestly elites.

Equally idiotic? Yes. This is not to say that each one has positive ways to live ones life, but they are all an equal waste of a person's brain.

Not my case.....all delusions are delusions duh......I do not escalate any tangients over this question. ....any good resulting from any believer DOES NOT RESCUE religion from absurdity. ....alleged deities alleged miracles are worthless hallucinations. ...hell threats and heaven bribes are evil inducements and result in a variety of intended and UN-intended consequences. ...acoordingly this is a worthless question regarding the comparisons between faiths. ...all are wrong. ...be thankful some believers turn out to be good humans despite bad faiths

I believe they're all bad because they exist for control; however, some are definitely more dangerous than others.

Yes, it's just that some are more equal that others.

Big no ( there are different norms governing all religions )

No they are not.

Oh no to all religions being "equal"... in terms of... perceived value? Content validity, utility? Smith's magic rocks and his illiterate reading of gold plates... lost... that resulted in Mormonism? Compared w/ the mainstay Abrahamic faiths that have d/evolved to present time? I REALLY prefer (personal preference of course) Buddhism and if you count it as a religion, Taoism, over flavours of superstitious gods, invisible friends... nebulous heavens types. How 'bout this last bit and Viking versions where if you like wine, women and dance, you get your fill forever in Nirvana?! Much better/mas mejor that twinking harps and gazing on some olde guys face. Heck; give me that good ole time animism over the hypocrites of churches, synagogues, worship houses anytime.

No.

All just different fairytales.

yes they are equally crap and fairy tales written by men to dominate woman

We can say one religion is worser than the other by the virtues of fellow people

May be..
I would give a different perspective on this.
An athiest is at a higher level where he/she see all other religion below him. So all are same to him.
how could be one religion better than the other if one descended from the other??

As I heard a Methodist once say. " As long as we can agree that the Baptist are more wrong than the Methodists, we can get along."

I believe that all religions are incorrect in the same way, in that they espouse an idea for which there is no valid evidence, and attempt to make claims about the world then back them up, instead of using the evidence to then come to conclusions.

All religions are 100% equal. Many religions have killed in the name of their god.and have been horrible to their fellow man just because it's part of their religon

I would put christians at the bottom of my list.

I don't mind religions such as Islam, Buddhism, etc

I think that ancient cultures and Native American deities are very interesting.

I can identify parts of myself with Wicca and Pagan religions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:456
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.