Agnostic.com

9 3

Clean Up On Aisle 6!

In an attempt to get to know each other better here:

Please share with me your first job as a Kid or young person.
For those who's first job was as an adult, please share that as well.
Did you like this job?
How did this job impact the person you are today?

My very first job was Grocery store called
Metro mon 'epicerie
It was a Canadian Grocery chain located in Westmont, Quebec where i am from.
I was 16 when i got this job and i really loved it because i felt like an adult. I didnt work because my family needed the money but i have always been an independent person and wanted to earn my own money.

twshield 8 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had a paper route when I was 10. I did it for about a year till I got bit by a dog!

Baby sitting starting when I was 11. Also began walking an early morning paper delivery route when I was 12.

I did not much like either job, esp baby sitting, but greatly enjoyed the freedom that came with having my own spending money.

My favorite and first higher paying (than minimum wage) job was bartending/waitressing in my early twenties. It was so social and fun! I never recaptured that cameraderie anywhere else.

Zster Level 8 Feb 14, 2020

I mowed two cemeteries for the church where my father was pastor in very rural east Tennessee when I was 12 or 13.

Is this a joke question? All the answers sound like they could be on Comedy Central.

My very first job was picking Raspberries. After that worked in a cannery (Libby) during green bean season. Then I struck it rich and found a great job with Boeing. It was in the mock-up dept and my job title (still remember it) was electrical-rover-developer-prover.

@twshield Not when you get paid by the pound. Every one you eat cost you money. This was during the 60's and Boeing had a monopoly on commercial aircraft. My plant built the 707's and 727's. If you were male, had a HS degree and was willing to work Boeing would hire you. Most didn't care and became what was known as rivet buckers. A friend gave me a tip and said to say Mock-up and that made a huge difference. I was making some $750 a month in 1967.

The first time I earned money from a non-family-member, it was for moving furniture after school for an old guy who did furniture refinishing. There were other menial jobs but you only asked for the first.

Fast food place

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 14, 2020

@twshield owner was a neighbor

At 16, I was a telephone solicitor, trying to sell products packaged by blind people. It was later discovered that the company was a big scam, but I didn't know that.

My first paid job was picking cotton. Our parents sent us out to pick cotton because they thought that would be good for our characters. We were not permitted to spend the money but had to put it in the bank.

Picking cotton is hot, grueling work for a youngster, and I developed patience, perseverance and persistence. I also learned to read my bank statements with pleasure, imparting to me a penchant for saving and investing. My ex-wives interpret that as miserliness. Take your pick.

The town kids spent their summers playing baseball, having fun and developing socially. I am somewhat of a social outlier—interpret that as you will.

All the other cotton pickers were Blacks. They treated me well and I became comfortable in their presence. To this day I love those folks.

Yes I feel what you mean about town kids being different, but you can learn social skills later in life though, but I do not know if you can learn aloneness skills later.

So maybe we are the lucky ones.

My first job was working as a weed digger in the Manor House garden, plus helping the shepherd when he was busy. It was about as humble a job as you can get, but in a tiny village there is not much choice. But I loved being out in the gardens, and having my own money in my pocket at the weekend.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:459784
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.