Agnostic.com

8 13

Obstacle course and sweet moments.

On Wednesday, Karen and I stopped on Stevens Pass to snowshoe on our way to the Seattle area to pack up the apartment of her mother, 92, with severe dementia. A hoarder.

"Was the snow packed down on the trail?" we asked a couple in the parking lot. They had set off and immediately gave up. "We don't like the snow blowing off the trees," the man replied. "Yes, the trail is packed down." So we used microspikes.

"What cupcakes," I thought. Blowing snow sparkled in the sun. Beautiful! After hiking uphill for a mile or so, we chose to take another trail back. Holy cow!

It was an obstacle course going straight up then straight down, over and over. We ran downhill to see how far our momentum carried us up the next hill. Up. Down. Up. What a workout! The trail went sideways instead of down to the parking lot. After three miles of this, I was beat. Suddenly the trail spurted us onto a snow-covered road.

"Let's walk down the road to the car," I said wearily. Karen laughed. "Had enough?"

Saw My Daughter

Yesterday while we were packing, Claire, 29, stopped by on her way home from work.

The three of us went for a walk in the woods. Karen told Claire about six hiking trails near Claire's house. A typical millennial, Claire typed the trail names into her phone.

"Today is the first time we saw with sun in Seattle in 88 days," Claire said. "I grew up in sunny Wenatchee. I'm not acclimated to all this rain! It's depressing."

Claire and Karen discussed their vegan diets. Karen gave Claire four vegan cookbooks she had previously given her mother (who can no longer safely cook). It was wonderful to see my girl. Claire loved meeting Karen, she told her dad on the phone.

Favorite Moment

My favorite part of packing was early this morning. Karen and I sewed together the long edges of her mother's beloved quilt bedspread, so it would fit on a twin bed.

I'm left-handed and Karen is right-handed. We sat down, each starting at an end. We whip-stitched toward the center, meeting in the middle. I showed Karen how to make a knot with every third stitch. It was a sweet, restful moment.

Aides were delighted to take the couch, dishes, rug, printer (I found the printer cords in a nest of tangled cords), and a dresser unneeded by her mother. Karen sorted her mother's belongings; I packed, labeled and stacked heavy boxes. Hard work.

The movers arrived at 10:30 this morning. We had the cluttered apartment boiled down to 12 large boxes with garbage taken out. The movers took furniture, etc. to Goodwill for us.

Today on the way home from Seattle, Karen pulled over so I could take a picture of Mt. Index shining in the sun.

What an adventure!

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I must get up to your part of the world one of these days to check out all those incredible mountains.

I really enjoy reading about your adventures, and admiring your photos. 🙂

@BestWithoutGods

Thanks so much. Half-Irish, I'm a born storyteller.

So sorry for your friend and her mother. Thanks for the beautiful Pictures. I can almost smell the fresh air.

Where was the trail? It couldn't be the Iron Goat as this was a former RR bed and only has a 2% grade (kindergarten for you). Just saw a film on the Wenatchee forest. really interesting especially the rock formation around Ellensburg. [pbs.org]
Don't we live in an amazing place?

@JackPedigo

Good question. No snowmobiles are allowed.

It's just east of Stevens Pass, on the south side of Highway 2. No snowmobiles allowed. There's a parking lot. Not the "Nordic Trails" at Stevens Pass Ski Area. Karen knows the manager.

Heading up Stevens Pass, Karen turned left into the parking lot. That's the trouble when I'm not driving. Suddenly we're there.

It costs $10/person on Thursday- Sunday. It's free on Monday-Wednesday.

People bring their kids for sledding. There are also groomed, cross-country ski trails, and separate trails for snowshoers.

p.s. I love Nick on the Rocks.

Beautifully recounted! Thanks for sharing that slice of your life. Great pix, too. I laughed when you called the failed hikers cupcakes, are you sure they weren't snowflakes?

@elegato3141

Thank you so much!

"What cupcakes!" I told Karen and laughed.

Blowing snow sparkled in the sun. It was beautiful.

Another beautiful nature loving day of adventures,Your so blessed of the area you live in and that youare taking advantage of it and enjoying it

@RoyMillar

Thank you. I appreciate your kindness.

Great photos but Mount Index ? what an awful name for a beautiful mountain. Isn't there a native American name to call it ?

@Morovian

To answer your question, I tried looking up the Native American name for Mt. Index. No luck.

[npr.org]

@LiterateHiker Thanks. Many of the mountains in Scotland have unpronounceable Gaelic names but I much prefer that to some name given by a Victorian English surveyor. There is a peak called Bod an Damhain in the Cairngorms. It is shown on the maps as "the devils point" but the literal translation is "the devils penis". The story is that Queen Victoria asked what the English translation was and a local was too embarrassed to say "penis" so he called it the devils point and the name stuck. I take great delight in correcting any tourist who asks about it.

Glad to hear of your hike. Great pictures, make me feel cold.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:462480
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.