Agnostic.com

6 0

Atheist Observances, holiday/holy day, celebrations?

What do you think about atheists seeking a holiday of our own? ( holiday is a bad word because it comes from holy day, but meh, y'all get the idea).

Adorkable 6 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let's see... There are the two American secular holidays (Fourth of July and Thanksgiving), April Fool's Day, Darwin's Birthday, Talk Like a Pirate Day and Pi Day. I work on Easter and Christmas, they are not my holidays by my traditional Jewish roots nor my atheism. I no longer celebrate the Jewish High Holy Days. Passover or Channukah.

When in Rome.
"EITHER ALL DAYS ARE HOLY OR NONE ARE, I HAVE NOT YET DECIDED."
Dorfl, Feet of Clay, Corgi 1997, p404, Pratchett, T.

I don't celebrate any holidays on my own. I didn't once my son was old enough to ask if he wanted to celebrate. I've always felt that if I took care of my son's emotional and physical needs/wants every day, there's no reason to celebrate a holiday. I had to celebrate with my niece once she moved in with me because her needs had been so neglected until that point.

it's called labour day , family day , boxing day , victoria day and thanks giving [ which is the celebration of the harvest to us in canada ] don't you have memorial day ?

Can we have a paid holiday from our employer?

Good grief-there are enough holidays already. I dislike celebrating the religious US holidays we already have, and mostly I dislike that US holidays involve eating huge quantities of food. Why? I hate fixing food I never eat, for people, waiting on them, cleaning up after them, entertaining them. In Thailand, I can attend constant festivals and just buy what I want from street vendors, without having to entertain anyone.

red moon comes to mind

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46262
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.