Agnostic.com

8 8

LINK Woman says she lost $89K after a scammer posed as her friend on Facebook Messenger

This is sad, why do people not use critical thinking skills? You never get something for nothing. If it sounds too good to be true...

HippieChick58 9 Feb 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why would ANYBODY ask someone else for $1000, never mind this amount........and any investment, even if legit, always has risks! I really have no sympathy, sorry.

Link not available in my country.

I used to have to deal with some of my clients that at least had the snap to bring it to me to be vetted. When it comes to financial matters, while I myself am a conservative investor, I always asked the client what risk level they were willing to take. They could normally tell when I saw a scam because I would ask how much money they would be willing to flush down the toilet before they were happy with the returns or fed up with the losses.

You're right, @HippieChick58, it's very sad, and will no doubt affect the rest of her life.

I think sometimes greed, and the belief that they're smart enough to get something via loophole (like a fee for transferring money for someone from another country) over-rides what common sense they have. Or maybe they're just really hopeful that the system is finally going to work for them.

I was listening to an old episode of the radio program, Dragnet, today. It's amazing how confidence men are always coming up with new schemes.

You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time. Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)

Actually, I heard it was PT Barnum, but regardless, spot on!

I bet she voted for trump.

Sadly there will always be grifters and their marks that fall prey to them. Human nature has not changed in thousands of years. Sumerians texts tell the same tales we see today, Bible tales, old western movies, good verses evil. Seems just the names change 🙂.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:462976
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.