Agnostic.com

4 6

Today's hike: Snowshoes or microspikes? Needed both.

Today's hike up Stromberg Canyon was tough. Steep. We hiked 8.7 miles total with over 2,000 feet of elevation gain.

We needed both microspikes and snowshoes. We all used microspikes because we didn't want to carry heavy snowshoes.

The trail was covered in hard ice, then slushy snow. As we gained elevation, the snow got deeper. Up we went. The women were breaking through up to their knees and hips. Since I'm lightweight, I didn't break through much. I walked on top of the snow.

With eight women and seven dogs, we naturally divided into two groups of four, thank goodness. Five dogs streamed after the faster women. Bye.

I stayed with the slower group of good-natured women with two dogs. Much more peaceful.

We hiked at a good clip, quickly gaining elevation. Stopping for lunch after four miles, we relaxed in the sunshine. Beautiful mountain vistas.

Because the trail turned into deep snow and we were wallowing and struggling without snowshoes, we turned around after lunch.

As we descended, the sun dropped below the ridge. Temperature dropped. It felt like being in a refrigerator. The snow firmed up in cooler temperatures. It was much easier to walk.

We didn't see the speedy women the rest of the day. They hiked more miles and went higher.

Still, 8.7 miles is nothing to sneeze at.

Photos:

1. View of the Wenatchee Mountains from our lunch spot.

2. Julie, Karen and Dawn on the only bare patch of the trail. The trail curved to the left and descended. The sun dropped below the ridge.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Today, against all odds and hardship, I went to The Town. It was four miles of tough driving and intense deer sightings. I then went to the bank and barely escaped with my shirt. I then traveled to the grocery store and went in, despite my severe Grocerphobia. I again made it back home despite the dangerous conditions and wild animals. I really needed Ice Cream.

@Novelty Don't make fun of my di,,di,,,,,,disorder!

@Novelty I'm only afraid of groceries after they are bagged. When they are on the shelf, they are ok.

8.7 miles is an excellent hike especially with deep snow and elevation Another beautiful hike and scenery for your memories Love your pictures

There are those who are focussed on rushing to the destination and then there are those who want to enjoy the journey. Personally I fit in the latter group.

And I enjoy it right where I am..........in white supremacist USA.

Good job! Good judgment

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:466519
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.