Agnostic.com

41 17

What's your favourite building?

House, factory, even a church - anything goes. If you know anything interesting about it, share that with us too!

I'm going to choose the Einsteinturm, which was built in Potsdam in Germany between 1919 and 1921 as a solar observatory. I've chosen it partly because I think it's one of the most beautiful buildings in the world, and partly because it represents an era when a Jewish architect such as Erich Mendelsohn could be given a commission to build such a radical structure and name it after a Jewish physicist - only a few years before Germany, which I adore, entered the darkest period in human history.

Einstein, incidentally, doesn't seem to have liked it very much.

Jnei 8 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Unfortunately, it will be torn down soon.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Pity; that's a very entertaining building.

Weirdest hs to be the Experience Music Project in Seattle at the foot of the Space Needle

jeffy Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

Might be the colloseum (flavian amphiteatre). By today's standards its just a giant football stadium =D. The structure is both simple and elegant, and really impressively designed, and its one of those buildings built for function and form. Plus i mean, its huge.

Besides the usual marvels and wonders of the world, I'm very attracted to little out of the way places like this lighthouse.
They automatically give me the feeling of solitude while being close enough to civilization that I'm not alone and yet have a purpose in society.

There certainly is something very emotive about lighthouses. I'd love to live in one.

The Chrysler Building in NYC.

CERN

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 31, 2018

Can't say I have a singular building I love..though I do love Art Deco for a particular style/type..like your fav.

I love love love Art Deco. I'd like to see a revival.

@ailurophile me too..It's a big influence in my jewelry design..

Chichen Itza been there magical
Glastonbury mystical in autumn time
Palenque magical place again

Rosh Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

That's a very interesting building. i hadn't come across it before. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Very boringly, my favourite building is the Taj Mahal. After all the hype, I was convinced it was going to be a disappointment, but when I actually went there I found it absolutely breathtaking. But my favourite building because of personal connections is the national Museum of Wales - Amgueddfa Genedlaethol Cymru - which I probably visited several hundred times in my childhood and holds fantastic memories for me.

I've been there many times too 🙂

This is the old Qld Museum, it no longer serves that function. When I was a kid I would go there often, inside was a world like that of Indianna Jones, old dry relics, really unusual stuff. The new modern one is just for tourists.The winding staircases were rotting through, some balconies were off limits, there were many attempts to have it demolished. I was able to walk there from my high school.

Almost everything Frank Lloyd Wright built. I like art deco also.

That's three votes for FLW so far!

The Queens Palace at Greenwich with the painted hall which is magnificent. I come from a small town called Lee green near Blackheath . Greenwich is set in a Royal Park with deer Henry the 8th built it and on the top of the hill above it you can look straight over the river Thames - there are then Parks to walk through all the way ot woolwich. The clock that is greenwich mean time is disappointint ot me just like a kitchen clock but there is a Maritime museum there too which is really good So A collection of historic Buidings all in one place.

I know the Queen's Palace and Greenwich very well - many beautiful buildings there. You're right about the clock, which looks like it cost £5 in Argos. 🙂

Great pyramid of Giza.

Abraham Lincoln home in Springfield, IL

Good question, no answer.

The Integratron

The Integraton, for those who are unfamiliar with it. Built in accordance with plans given by visitors from Venus, claimed builder George Van Tassel.

@Jnei Totally obsessed with acoustic oddities and resonant frequencies. So gnarly.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46676
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.