Agnostic.com

4 10

Pear Gingerbread Upside-Down Cake

Today I made a Pear Gingerbread Upside-Down cake for my daughter's birthday. With fresh ginger mixed in the pears and cake batter, It's her favorite. It's in the oven and smells wonderful.

Claire will turn 30 on March 16. With her husband Matt, they drove to Wenatchee today from the Seattle area for her Dad's birthday. Terry's birthday is March 10.

Tomorrow morning I will give Claire birthday gifts and we will have her birthday cake with coffee or tea. Then it's back over the Cascade Mountains for her and Matt.

March was birthday hell for me. Six days apart, I organized birthday parties, invited their friends, baked a homemade cake to order, wrapped gifts, hosted and collapsed afterward.

Photo: Claire's first birthday. I made her a carrot cake with cutout cream cheese frosting.

Welcome to the world of cake and ice cream!

Recipe is below.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Since they all seem to be pesky Pisceans, why didn't you make them fish-cake for lunch? πŸ€£πŸ˜‚

Pear Gingerbread Upside-Down Cake

4 peeled small pears, cored and cut lengthwise into ΒΌ inch thick slices.
2 tablespoons grated, peeled fresh ginger, divided
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Cooking spray or Crisco
2-4 tablespoons white sugar (for coating pan)
Β½ cup packed dark brown sugar
ΒΌ cup butter, softened
1 large egg
Β½ cup low-fat buttermilk
ΒΌ cup molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda
Β½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
ΒΌ teaspoon salt
ΒΌ teaspoon dry mustard
ΒΌ teaspoon ground cloves
ΒΌ teaspoon ground nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Combine pears, 1 tablespoon ginger, and lemon juice. Coat a 9 x 2-inch round cake pan with cooking spray on bottom and sides; sprinkle bottom and sides with white sugar evenly. Arrange pears in bottom of pan in a circular pattern.

3. Combine brown sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Beat in egg. Add buttermilk, molasses, and 1 tablespoon ginger; beat until well-blended.

4. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine next 6 ingredients (flour through nutmeg) thoroughly. Add flour mixture to batter; stir by hand until well-blended. Pour over pears.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched in center. Do not overbake. Cool in pan 20 minutes on a wire rack. Place a plate upside-down on top of cake; invert cake onto plate. Yield: 8 servings.

Calories: 244; fat 7.1 g; protein 3.3g; Carb 43.3g; Fiber 1.2g; Chlor 28mg; Iron 1.7mg; sodium 332mg; calcium 66mg.

This recipe should be copied to the "Food, Glorious Food" group! please

You are the renaissance woman.

Gingerbread upside down cake looks excellent but I'm more interested in that carrot cake with cream chesse frosting! 😊

We need recipes for both! 🐷

@bigpawbullets, @CutieBeauty

I just posted the recipe for Pear Upside-Down Gingerbread Cake as a comment in this post.

Typed it for you.

@LiterateHiker that's great for @bigpawbullets 😊but
I wanted the carrot cake
πŸ˜©πŸ˜’πŸ˜”

πŸ˜‹

@Cutiebeauty
Ha. She likes me best.😁

@bigpawbullets
Nooooooooooooo!

@Cutiebeauty

I will have to look through my recipes for it. Not sure if I saved it.

@LiterateHiker OK no hurry... 😊

@Cutiebeauty, @bigpawbullets

When Claire was born in 1990, I was a devotee of Laurel's Kitchen Cookbook. For her first birthday party, I used this carrot cake recipe without raisins and walnuts: choking hazards. Also reduced the cinnamon and cloves.

Claire's first birthday was the first time she ate sugar. You should have seen her face with her first taste of vanilla ice cream!

Carrot Cake

1 cup grated carrots
1 cup raisins
3/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves

2 tablespoons oil
1-1/2 cups water

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/ cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

2. Cook carrots, raisins, honey, oil and spices in the water for 10 minutes. Allow to cool.

3. Mix together the flours, baking soda, wheat germ and walnuts. Combine with the other ingredients.

4. Pour into two small, well-greased loaf pans.

5. Bake for 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Makes 2 small loaves.

For baby Claire's cake, I sliced chilled cream cheese and cut out bunnies with a cookie cutter.

Cream Cheese Frosting (Cooking Light)

2/3 cup tub-style light cream cheese, chilled.
1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
3-1/2 cups powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese and vanilla in a large bowl at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar (do not overbeat). Cover and chill.

Yield: 1-2/3 cups.

@LiterateHiker thank you so much! I was born in 1990 as well 😊

@Cutiebeauty

You're welcome, dear.

@LiterateHiker screenshot and saved 😊

@Cutiebeauty NOOOOO.....Apple pie. What kind of American are you?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:467917
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.