Agnostic.com

10 3

What kind of good god would allow that?

I felt relief when I determined there was no god because I had found it really depressing that an omnipotent and supposedly good being would create and allow a world a world where suffering is rampant. Does this thought play a role in your beliefs?

FSMGirl 5 Mar 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No not at all ,because who said god or a creator must have human emotions or a morality that humans are accustomed to . I am a non believer due to common sense which includes many factors . I once believed as you did but grew to think otherwise.

I came in via minds like Joseph Campbell-- comparative religion studies and how mankind has always constructed myths to explain what they don't understand. This topic you have raised is a reinforcement/nice corollary.

Most suffering exists because of humans.. God doesn't exist.. So don't blame it...

yup, I found it hard to understand why god would help one guy find his misplaced car keys, while a baby elsewhere died of starvation in a world of plenty.

At least the ancients had the honesty to believe their gods were as capricious, petty and vindictive as they were and worshiped them out of fear.

Yes it did and and a impotent god

An omnipotent and good god would not allow suffering, but omnipotence, good and suffering are human concepts with little meaning from a cosmic perspective.

I try not to develop firm beliefs about metaphysical ideas that are way over my head, but I think that a philosophical god is possible. We should not use the god word though lest there be shrieks of protest.

Nature, in its larger sense, or ultimate reality, has no use for good/bad. Everything that happens unfolds just as it has to. We can choose to interpret events in a negative, judgmental way or we can choose peace, joy, reverence and ecstasy.

Yes all the alleged gawds are unworthy of belief. Asking these fundamental questions is always ripe for Atheism and freedom from theocracy..... I concluded Santa Claus Easter bunny teeth fairy and alleged vaginal virgins birthing alleged baby gawds every midnight December 24/25 were all the same cruel joke played on kids.... especially the religious claim my poor cats and dogs run over by cars dead did not go to "heaven" but did get buried in the back yard without a box or blanket.....

No, that particular thought never bothered me. I figured when I died I would discover that life had been like some kind of cosmic movie theatre, and when we walk out we find it was all make believe and no one actually got hurt.
(I no longer think that way)

skado Level 9 Mar 9, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:468354
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.