Agnostic.com

22 5

Which Cosmos was better 1980 or 2014?

I never watched the version with Carl Sagan because it was considered "evil". Is it worth finding and watching?

Fulishsage 6 Mar 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

1980, definitely. Don't get me wrong, I love Neil, but there's no substitute for Sagan.

I have an unopened 7 DVD set of the 1980 Carl Sagan version. I'm saving it to watch with my grandkids when they are older. I did watch the 2014 version, which was cool, but I prefer the 1980 version. Glad you ordered it. I think you'll like it!

Now that is planning ahead

I bought it in 2013, before I had any idea a modern version was being planned with Neil DeGrasse Tyson. So, it will likely remain unopened until my grandsons are of a good age to enjoy watching it with me.

My parents never let me watch it growing up because it was evil, as well. I bought the DVD set a number of years ago. You can still find used copies at a decent price. Well worth it.

1. Because Sagan period.

That’s a tough question. Has the cosmos really changed all that much in thirty-plus years? 😉

The cosmos is always and only changing, always and only.

I have both on DVD.

But while I respect deDrasse Tyson, I absolutely adore the beautiful, calming voice and almost poetical handling of science and humanity of Sagan. I adore the way he communicates his ideas. With such gentle passion and warmth.

Sagan’s version is timeless.

Marz Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

Thank you everyone who posted, I've ordered 1980 version.

1. I like Neil, but I felt like he was talking down to us in this. Plus, that ship was ridiculous.

More than worth it. Sagan is just incredible! (& I recommend his books, also!) Tho I very much liked de Gras Tyson's redux, & obviously the graphics were better, Sagan was the trailblazer & his passion just flows out! Watch, watch, a thousand times watch!

Or should I say a billions & billions & billions times watch! LOL

The series by Dr. Sagan inspired me. The series with Dr. Tyson was pretty good.

I prefer the 1980 version, getting old and like longer explanations with fewer short, drama sections.

BillF Level 7 Mar 31, 2018

I didn't mean to double dip. Sorry!

I like both. I like the humor Tyson brings to the table. I also like the fact Tyson is open about being a nonbeliever.

I like both. I like the humor Tyson brings to the table. I also like the fact Tyson is open about being a nonbeliever.

Sagan's.

The original is a must watch. Carl Sagan is great in it and so is the Vangelis soundtrack.

Both were/are excellent.

Sagan's version is great, he truly was a wonderful science communicator. I haven't watched the 2014 version yet.

Go on, watch this.

Watch this to the end and then tell me you understand

I read the book and I don't think Orwell completely understood everything he wrote.

@Fulishsage He also wrote a little book about fighting in Spain during the civil war. Interesting part about what getting shot in the neck feels like. (No pain - just tremendous shock - sorry, can't find it - must have put the book "somewhere safe" )

Kosmos - Alexander von Humboldt

Well, I am a devout Saganist and perform all of the appropriate Saganic Rituals with regularity.

However, I am also a big fan of DeGrasseroots movement... hmm.

To misunderstand your question better:

The cosmos in 1980:
February 16 – A total solar eclipse is seen in North Africa and West Asia.
March 1 – The Voyager 1 probe confirms the existence of Janus, a moon of Saturn.
Mar 14 - THe British-US Ariel-V spacecraft re-enters the Earth's atmosphere. Ariel-V carried several instruments which monitored the X-ray sky for more than 5 years and catalogued 250 X-ray sources. It detected and studied the bright "X-ray nova" A0620-00 and established that Seyfert 1 galaxies are a class of bright X-ray emitters.
October 3 – The main-belt asteroid 2404 Antarctica is discovered by Czech astronomer Antonín Mrkos.
November 12 – Voyager program: The NASA space probe Voyager I makes its closest approach to Saturn when it flies within 77,000 miles (124,000 km) of the planet's cloud-tops and sends the first high resolution images of the world back to scientists on Earth.

German physician Klaus von Klitzing, working at the high magnetic field laboratory in Grenoble with silicon-based samples developed by Michael Pepper and Gerhard Dorda, makes the unexpected discovery that the Hall conductivity is exactly quantized, the Quantum Hall effect.

The Cosmos in 2014:
I mean, like, wow.... there is a lot that came to our attention in 2014. cough

January 2nd - The asteroid 2014 AA impacts the Earth a few hours after it was first sighted. This was the second time an asteroid was observed before it impacted with Earth (the first being 2008 TC3).
January 7th – NASA releases the deepest image ever taken of a galaxy cluster not long after the Big Bang. The image includes Abell 2744, a galaxy cluster in the Sculptor constellation, and was taken by the Hubble Space Telescope.
January 8th - Using the Sloan Digital Telescope, astronomers have measured the distance to galaxies six billion light-years away – about halfway back to the Big Bang – to an accuracy of just 1 percent. This could aid in the understanding of dark energy, which is thought to be driving the expansion of the universe.
20 January – The ESA's Rosetta spacecraft "wakes up" from hibernation mode to monitor comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko for the next 16 months as the comet travels into, and then out of, the inner Solar System. The spacecraft is expected to deploy the Philae lander on the comet's surface in November 2014.
I mean that's just January... In February we get the first Images from the curiosity rover. We start thinking hard about asteroids again when 2000 EM26 glides by. We find 715 more exoplanets bring the known number up tp 1,700. That's February... the record goes on and on.

I can't be certain the apparent disparity of information density in the available summations I was presented are due to a lack of discovery. It may instead be a discrepency in the chronicle. Events which have occurred after the popular induction of the internet have greater opportunity to be chronicled and preserved in greater detail.

Given all of the above. If I had to choose between Emu's and Ostriches...

I'd eat a sandwich and go to bed.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:46889
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.