Agnostic.com

56 3

Can you recommend a book, please?

I have been struggling to find something captivating to read. I'm in need of something amazing.

4EvanSake 6 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Bible ...

(April Fool !)

The God Delusion, if you haven't already read it, excellent book and to the point.

The Kite Runner, (Khalid Hosseini) followed by two others.

Tomas Level 7 Apr 1, 2018

Those were good

I hear The Old Testament is thrilling. Lot's of conquest, gore, violence, genocide, romance, sex, rape, incest, adulteries, scandals, plagues, murder mysteries, magical sorcerers, talking donkeys, talking snakes, and much more authored by an all-loving, all-knowing, and all-powerful god. They say it's a nail biter and a number one best-seller.

What are you into? Right now I'm reading Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. It tries to find an explaination behind the variances of technological development in the continents.

The Alienist is a good one...

Read it and the sequel. And watched season 1

@4EvanSake I can't stand the tbs series..arrrgh..

Lot's of great bookd.
East of Eden
Shogun
The Razor's Edge
The Persian Boy
Les Miserable
The Unincorporated Man
Bicentineal Man
Crime and Punishment
A Tale of Two Cities
Lost Horizen
Moby Dick
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

I often go lookign for best book lists and lists of classics. I especially liked lists of 'banned books". You can fidn all kinds of recommendations on the internet.

Sweet Thursday, John Steinbeck

The selfish gene, or anything by Richard dawkins!

Jim87 Level 3 Apr 2, 2018

Something completely different if you can get hold of it.

"The Stone and the Flute" by Hans Bemmann.

At one point I managed to have 3 copies, sadly people have borrowed 2 of them and they have not come back. So annoying.

I decided to check out a short history of nearly everything by Bryson. Has anyone read it?

What genre?

Something Happened by Joseph Heller. Blew me away like no other book.

MikaB Level 5 Apr 1, 2018

I too, like to get blown
away
by a good book.
(just curious to see if this gets flagged)

capone [ biography] stunning stuff . the real story behind america's woes

If you could be into a dystopian future type novel, I would suggest...

@MustardSeed
He has become one of my favorite authors. I also listened to The Water Knife, The Drowned Cities, and Ship Breaker.

The Seeking Sword by Jaan Kangliaski

Lies My Teacher Told Me by James Loewen.

I've recommended this book a couple times on this site but I enjoyed it that much and it relates to the site ethos I guess.

The God virus

I'm currently reading "missing microbes" can follow me I always post what I read.

Anything by Alastair Reynolds

Gohan Level 7 Apr 1, 2018

Have you ever read, "The Case for Peter Cottontail?"

If you enjoy speculative fiction/Sci-Fi, anything by Octavia Butler. She was an incredible word-smith.

If you haven't yet read American Gods by Neil Gaiman, it's definitely worthwhile. Imagine that all of the gods of all religions were actually real, and their power was dependent on how many believers they had. The main protagonist is a human who ends up getting a job as chauffeur, bodyguard, gofer, and XO to Odin, who manifests on earth as a disheveled older middle aged guy.

Neal Stephenson's novel Reamde is also outstanding. It's a complex story involving video games, "gold farmers," terrorists, the Russian mafia, online laundering, MI6 SIS, and just about everything else you can think of.

If you like humor, social satire, and profound philosophy that is thinly disguised as fantasy, the entire Discworld series, by Sir Terry Pratchett is brilliant.

If you prefer non-fiction Pop-Sci., I'll second someone else's recommendation of The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan, Dawkins' "The Selfish Gene," and especially "The Extended Phenotype," and any of the collections of columns from Natural History by Steven Jay Gould (many of which are rather dated now, but still rewarding reading), and Daniel Dennett's 1995 book "Darwin's Dangerous Idea."

If you really want to stretch your brain, David L. Hull's (1988) "Science as a Process: An Evolutionary Account of the Social and Conceptual Development of Science" and Douglas Hofstadter's "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid" are books that require you to keep a notebook handy while you read.

If you can tell me a few books that you've read in the past and enjoyed, I can recommend some similar ones.

"Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan. And then the rest of his books. They're all amazing.

Bible thumper to athiest is a very good book shows bible for what it is man made god not god made man

There are so many! I'm a horror/fantasy/sci fi nerd so fair warning, but here are a couple of my go-to books..
Anything by Thomas Harris. He makes me completely uncomfortable and I like exploring that.
For fun, anything by Terry Pratchett or Robert Asprin.
Illusion by Paula Volsky - think french revolution meets sci fi.
The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elisabeth Moon
To read to my kid: The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall or The Last Unicorn, Peter S Beagle

Astrophysics for Busy People -- Neal deGrasse Tyson

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47871
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.