Agnostic.com

56 3

Can you recommend a book, please?

I have been struggling to find something captivating to read. I'm in need of something amazing.

4EvanSake 6 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Swan Song by Robert McCammon and Cold Comfort by Dan Simmons...

Fermat's Last Theorem - Simon Singh

Could try this...

Depends on your preferred genre

Only thing I am not into is fantasy

@4EvanSake fictional investigative thrillers? If so try Brian Freeman. His book Immoral is one of my favorites. Also it's tragic you're not into fantasy.

@LadyAlyxandrea I'll check it out

Try The Boys in the Boat, true story.

Ready Player One

the film is pucker

A confederacy of Dunces is a sublime work of genius

Roger zelazny, 9 prince of amber, or you can read old testimony with comments and try to create your own svientific opinion unsread, its pretty interesting

The book that will forever change our ideas about the bible - Mauro Biglino

Hey, I have a book i can PASSIONATELY recommend. Please read "Factfulness: Ten Reasons We're Wrong About The World" by Hans Rosling.

It's written by a Swedish researcher of Public Health and shows our biases toward thinking the world is getting worse when it's actually not (statistically). It shows our prejudice toward so called "Third World Countries" while not many of them actually still exist.

Bill Gates called it "one of the most important books I've ever read", and it is a GREAT source of facts for debating anyone who thinks all of Africa is a "shithole" Cough Trump... Cough.

Hope you pick it up, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it later.

All the best,
Jesper

Needful things - Stephen King
A rather disturbing take on consumerism with enough crazy to make it interesting

Perhaps you should read mine. Entitled The Eloquence of Effort. Its currently available as a free download on Google Play. It might just change your view of the world. I am serious.

Ready Player One, or A Higher Loyalty are good books. If you can read politics.

maybe a funny choice for an atheist but davita's harp by chaim potok.

the once and future king by t.h. white

the female man by joanna russ, or any of her feminist nonfiction, such as how to suppress women's writing

i won't name one, just give you the author: anything you can get your hands on, honestly, it doesn't matter which, because you'll then want to read them all, by nicolas freeling

likewise any book you can find by barbara tuchman.

the naked ape by desmond morris

harpo speaks by harpo marx, and i'm not kidding, this is history, not just a famous person's bio. it's the best!

any of oscar levant's autobiographies (i think one is called memoirs of an amnesiac)

anything by richard feynman or carl sagan

anything by antoine de sainte-exupéry, but if you choose le petit prince, try to read it in french. i recommend one of his other books for a start.

anything by nevil shute. a town like alice is a good starting point.

that should get you started, anyway!

g

12 Rules For Life: An Antidote to Chaos by Jordan B. Peterson.

I would recommend The Teacher's Manifesto. It synthesizes history, literature, politics, and economics to explain what is happening in our society, politits, and education system. [amazon.com]

Just thought of another one (well, two): Colby Buzzell's "My War," and his follow up, 'Lost In America." "My War" is, I believe, the Catch-22 or Slaughterhouse Five of the Iraq War. "Lost In America" would be the "Something Happened." Beautiful & heartbreaking.

MikaB Level 5 Apr 3, 2018

My soon to be online book "Saving Gaia" is about what it'll take to save the environment. Albert Einstein, Mark Twain, H.G.Wells, Kurt Vonnegut, and recently George Carlin all gave up on the future of humanity and the world. I say we should take the example of Jewish Dutch girl Anne Frank, who forgave her Nazi tormentors and never gave up on humanity. Who's right?

I just finished Harari's Homo Deus He also wrote Sapiens His writing style, or his editor, has improved. Very intriguing "history of the future."

You might also try Burkowski's Why Men Made God. Be sure to go to the website to look at the illustrations. Available at Amazon.com or in Chapters stores in Canada.

I am about to start Pinker's Enlightenment Now I'll let you know if it lives up to its hype.

Infidel is quite good. But Leonardo da Vinci is amazing.

nailed by David Fitzgerald

Society without God: What the Least Religious Nations Can Tell Us About Contentment – June 7, 2010 by Phil Zuckerman [Sociologist looks at religion in Sweden and Denmark] "It is crucial, Zuckerman believes, for Americans to know that “society without God is not only possible, but it can be quite civil and pleasant.”

The Secret History of the World

The amazing world or parasites.

[amazon.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:47871
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.