Agnostic.com

56 9

What character traits indicate someone is a "good" person?

Mea 7 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they are not vengeful

Kindness. Empathy.

My philosophy-majoring Brother-in-law suggests that 'virtue is known by the actions of the virtuous'. Good luck!

Don't be an asshole. It's that simple.

Whoopsie!

@Blindbird Everyone is capable of being an asshole sometimes. But no one should be going out there way to be an asshole and especially not all the time. That's all I'm saying.

@ReBrew2115 but...it's kind of fun.

Wow! a lot of ideas:

Sugar & spice and everything nice.

cava Level 7 Apr 1, 2018

The ability to be empathetic, compassionate, honest, and humble.

It's all in their respect quotient of others and themselves..

Exceptional: integrity, curiosity, compassion (don't we begin to devolve from here?)
Good: intelligent, responsible, accountable,
Mediocre: _, ___, ____
Impoverished: ____, ,

Reason and kindess sums it up for me.

Altruism goes hand in hand with the above.

Interesting question. I guess you would have to be really clear on what you mean by a “good person”. For me I attribute that to someone who is very self-aware and who is mostly outward facing. That is their thoughts and activities are mainly focused on the well-being of others.

That's the reason I put good in quotations, because good and bad are subjective. I'm interested in others opinions on what qualifies as good.

I think the ability to empathize with someone who is fundamentally different than you is most important. Once you can do that you drop judgements and just help people.

Compassion, generosity, a desire to make the world a better place.

I don't care which traits you display. you must do good.

Open minded, rational and compassionate . Those would be good for starters.

positive outlook , honest and forthright , compassionate, helpful

Their name begins with S and ends in N ...lol

Simon? Susan? Shannon? Shawn? lol 🙂

Honesty, respect and willing to be wrong.

My answer - see how they operate under stress. Under those conditions, people can fall apart. Does that make them a "bad" person? I don't think so. We all have our breaking points and thresholds. But if someone under stress maintains grace under fire, then I would nominate that person as "good". If for no other reason that they are good for everyone else around them.

I don't think there is single or simple answer to it. It's relative as the term good is relative

Good is a subjective term. I prefer to see the world as objectively as possible. There are no good/bad people. There are just people, and those people react to their enviroment. some have learned to do it in a "positive" (term used loosely) way, others have not. Good is defined by the individual and the society/enviroment they have been subjected to.

Precisely why I used quotations.

kindness to animals, laugh at themselves, honest, empathy, how do they treat those in society that have a disability or can't stand up for themselves. integrity, respect for the environment, to name a few

A tasteful business card, a well managed VHS rental account, and the ability to get a table in a good restaraunt at short notice.

Very creative answer. ??

@CM1965 thank you 🙂

Being the lone person to stand up against something.

Humanism & optimism. If one can honestly say, like Will Rogers, "I never met a (hu)man I didn't like" that a bout covers it.

Compassion, honesty, and a sense of humor are important to me. I watch how someone treats others, more than how they treat me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48245
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.