Agnostic.com

5 10

Flowers are cheerful and uplifting

Yesterday I planted flowers on my sunny deck. Like my mother, I love red geraniums. Grew up with them. For contrast, I tucked in white Bacopa, yellow Bidens and lavender Alyssum.

White flowers glow as dusk falls. Flowers cheer me up.

By removing spent flowers and fertilizing, the plants bloom into December. It pains me to dig up flowering plants to make way for winter holiday decorations. The south-facing deck creates a warm micro-climate with walls on three sides.

This quick oil painting is by artist Marylane Barfield. My mother's cousin, Marylane was visiting our lakeside home in Michigan. At 16, I watched Marylane arrange Mom's red geraniums and a white rose on a table. Fascinated, I watched her paint it in three hours.

Marylane is the first woman and first American to be elected president of the Royal British Society of Fine Artists.

Marylane lives in England with her British husband, Lawrence Barfield, a doctor of archeology. Lawrence is an expert on the Iceman, a prehistoric, mummified man found on the border between Austria and Italy.

The oil painting is a little blurry because I was standing on the bed that made me unstable.

[en.wikipedia.org]

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wonderful sunny day after a week of rain here in Southern Cal, and blooms everywhere! Some too fragile to be picked, but others make their way into the house, joining some paintings by my great uncle Stan Poray, a popular artist in the ‘30s and ‘40s.

Loved the geraniums where painted inside a wooden crate ,gives it a very rustic rural natural setting,,

Good pictures and painting, too.

I have allergies. Flowers suck.

Beautiful. But enough about you. The flowers are nice, too. 😛

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:483284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.