Agnostic.com

11 11

Why Lack of Human Touch is So Stressful

"According to Dacher Keltner, a professor of psychology at the University of California, Berkeley, a lack of physical touch can affect people in more ways than they might realize.

“Touch is the fundamental language of connection,” says Keltner. “When you think about a parent-child bond or two friends or romantic partners, a lot of the ways in which we connect and trust and collaborate are founded in touch.”

"It’s not just about how we feel emotionally. Keltner adds that “touch deprivation” can impact people on a psychological and even physical level. “Big parts of our brains are devoted to making sense of touch and our skin has billions of cells that process information about it,” he says.

“The right type of friendly touch—like hugging your partner or linking arms with a dear friend—calms your stress response down. [Positive] touch activates a big bundle of nerves in your body that improves your immune system, regulates digestion and helps you sleep well. It also activates parts of your brain that help you empathize.”

[time.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree. Four siblings and I were born to non-touching parents. Decades later I learned that before our parents were born (circa 1905), a book by a parenting guru/charlatan said touching makes children dependent. It does worse than that but the story is too long to tell here.

Yes, touch is important especially for children...

I suspect that some are more naturally inclined to reject most touching. I don't buy such a thing as "touch deprivation" as described in the bit of the article (which I didn't read) that you posted. I do suspect that people touching one another often is a learned suppression of natural inclinations. At the same time, I also realize that some of this might be genetic code at play, perhaps even ancient code, which I suspect is the origin of chronotypes.

@bingst, @SanDiegoAirport

Nonsense.

Newborns deprived of touch have failure-to-thrive, even death.

It's well-researched and documented.

[hellomotherhood.com]

[scientificamerican.com]

@LiterateHiker I wasn't talking about babies. That's an entirely different matter. The bit of the article you posted wasn't specific to babies; quite the opposite. And I'm speaking from my own experience, and apparently others here agree with me.

@bingst
You suspect?
”...some are more naturally inclined to reject most touching.”
Nonsense squared!
You do suspect?
“... people touching one another often is a learned suppression of natural inclinations”
Nonsense cubed!
You are probably for good reason denying your early experience.

@yvilletom This seems like the similar position that introversion is some kind of psychological disorder. There's nothing inherently wrong with having suspicions about what's going on regarding a particular subject.

I do wonder what the coincidence of needing human touch and extroversion are, my suspicion being that there is a high coincidence. The corollary being that there's a high coincidence of introverts lacking the need for human touch, even having an aversion to it.

Is this all due to experience? To nurture? I doubt it. It's a difference that might exist due to genetics. And do keep in mind that I'm excluding babies in this line of thinking.

@bingst When I was a supervisor in an adult volunteer activity, some research revealed that authoritarians find human touch uncomfortable. I spoke with trainers about it and they added a touch exercise in the training. That was thirty five years ago and I would now look for more recent research.
I found no connection with either extro- or introversion, but suggest that the amount of either would be important. How much is too much IN A GIVEN SITUATION?

@yvilletom That's kind of what I'm getting at. We're all different, and these blanket generalized assertions-as-fact are akin more to what is socially acceptable/expected rather than what actually is, wherein this bias characterizes the research. And that's why I think you had problems finding something relevant to the extro/introversion factor.

Born prematurely, I have a deep unmet need for tender touch. I manage it well and never pick up men.

I weighed 3.3 lbs. at birth with an un-inflated lung. Spent two months in an incubator. Nurses slapped my tiny feet to make me scream to exercise my lungs. Surgeons planned to remove my useless lung when I reached 10 lbs.

"Kathleen won't eat," my mother told the doctor after I went home. "She looks up at me with her big brown eyes and refuses the bottle."

"Sing to her," the doctor advised. "She senses your tension. It will relax you both."

When my mother rocked and sang to me, I began drinking the bottle. At six months, I reached 10 lbs. Heartbroken, Mom took me to have my lung removed.

Doctors discovered my collapsed lung had spontaneously inflated. "I snatched you up and took you home," Mom said. Finally I got out of isolation and could join the family!

As an adult, my mother's beautiful soprano singing moved me to tears.

Photo: Six months old at a mighty 10 lbs.

Indeed...

Oh, I don't know if it's a need for everyone, especially when a person has experienced too much inappropriate touching or feels that allowing a touch leads to more unwanted touching. Not that it's always the case, but once the guard is up, it's easy to tell oneself that physical touch is not necessary and can be more harmful than good in some cases.

Sometimes the lack of physical touch is a blessing. It is for me anyway, at this point in my life. I'm sure that's awful to say, but I'm actually relieved during this time of social distancing, since that's a great excuse to discourage closeness.

I'm able to turn off the need for physical contact pretty easily, except for my grandchildren. I can't help myself when they initiate a snuggle. If they ever indicated they didn't want my touch, I would surely keep my hugs to myself. I would never impose a touch or hug on someone who doesn't invite or welcome it. I guess that's because of my past experiences, which taught me to guard firmly who gets to touch me, and be sure not to ever make anyone uncomfortable with my own touch.

It's definitely a fundamental need for children and people seeking partners, to have that human touch, but there are some people for whom that need goes away, when it rings bells and alarms of impending danger.

I fully understand that some people really need that human touch, but I reserve the right not to be the one to do it, especially when being guilted into it, citing articles and studies, while the motives of the person begging for the physical touch are sometimes questionable, and make me uncomfortable.

I know that's awful for me to say, but it's where I am in life. Just putting it out there that not everyone is craving human touch, that it can also be a trigger for stress.

I agree. And your comment brings to mind people with sensitivities to touch, such as SOME people on the spectrum, and people with sensory processing disorders, in which touch can be overwhelming and too overstimulating.

I wonder how people in long distance relationships, who's relationship started as long distance not became one, who's sole method of bonding is via communication using various mediums, handle it. Yes eventually they do meet in person and do touch, but is their bond less or more powerful due to the deprivation of that physical touch sensation? I wonder...

Remind me to reply to this in the next day or two.

loss of skin touch can send you into depression if it is something one has come acustomed to,,I know i am missing it alot

Probably also why we love stroking dogs and cats - and why they enjoy it.

Very important. I didn’t get it as a child and didn’t realize it until a few years ago

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:484294
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.