Agnostic.com

8 4

What if ALL drugs were legal? Do you think that would make the world better or cause more havoc? An old co-worker told me he thinks the world would be much better and LESS overdoses would happen if all drugs were legal; heroin, meth, cocaine, fentanyl, etc. What do you think?

VeronicaAnn 7 Apr 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Prohibition is much more damaging than drug abuse. It benefits criminals taking advantage of the black market and it is a detriment to the rest of society.

There would indeed be fewer overdoses. When people get help rather than being put in a cage and having their future prospects in life ruined, they are better able to cope with their addiction and live healthy, happier, longer, and more productive lives.

@VeronikaAnnJ

Why is that?

I didn't like Johann so much at first. I don't like his voice and his personality. But I love his ideas and the policies he advocates for.

I also don't care for TED talks all that much but I thought it a good idea to share this one because it's a very important topic. If you care to know more, Johann went on Rogan and got much deeper into these issues. It's literally my favorite episode of the podcast even though I find him to be a bit annoying.

I got really into studying drug policy and addiction back in college. So far, Johann is the best speaker I've found on those topics.

Alcohol is legal... That has many problems associated with it... Making drugs legal would increase the problem significantly...

That's true, there are many problems with alcohol, and all of those problems were much worse during prohibition with some new problems added in.

It would also remove much violence and black market economies.

If all drugs were legal.....IN THE UNITED STATES... the government would be hella lotta richer. We would not have pay GE tax... we could just us the drug tax to pay everything.

Amsterdam comes to mind. (Not sure which drugs?).
And they do quite the tourist trade.

Portugal is the only country to try it so far though some UK countries have done substantial legalization - so drug use isn't a crime.

Yes I think it would make far greater sense then punishing anyone who is addicted or experimenting. Make it legal than make laws surrounding the use. Way better use of resources.

Portugal has been trying something like that. I'm not sure what the current status of it is. [theguardian.com]

Spend the trillions wasted on the Drug War on research into developing clean, beneficial drugs which not only deliver the desired designer high, but are also good for you physiologically, psychologically, and emotionally, with no negative side effects.
This is the obvious solution.

@Bierbasstard

LSD is a wonderful drug. It made me a much less selfish, more open minded, and and much more empathetic person. I can't recommend it highly enough.

@Bierbasstard

It can be found at any music festival. The sources are more questionable than reputable though. All the more reason for it to be legal, so you know what you are getting and how potent it is. The only bad experience I had with it was when I got some fresh stuff that was way more potent than I was accustomed too. It was amazing but messed up my sleep pattern for days and pretty much ruined the whole festival except for that first night.

I doubt I'd ever do it again. I've already gotten out of it all it has to offer. I was already atheist at the time I did it in college but it certainly opened me up to a lot of new ideas and made me much more curious.

I think if more people were to try it out, humanity would be much more friendly and less aggressive. I wish there were options to do it safely and legally because there are dangers of course. Someday, it will be that way, and they will look back on us and wonder why our society was so opposed to it.

I think those with addictive personalities would kill themselves off pretty quickly. I've been a supporter of this idea (eliminate recreational drug restrictions) for most of my life. Let them do what they want. The rest of us will be fine.

@Green_Chile_Type HUH?

When drugs are legal, people with addictions have a much lower death rate. They tend to get help rather than punishment in societies that don't shame them. Their lives are much better because they don't have the stigma of being criminals and they are able to function much more regularly. Because their lives are better, they don;t abuse the drugs as much and their health is better because of it.

Prohibition is the worst thing for addicts and the best thing for criminal enterprises.

@Green_Chile_Type Just devise a legal, non-addictive 'heroin' and 'meth,' etc., which is actually GOOD for you and the problem would disappear.
The real problem is 'society' WANTS you to suffer as a result of drug use, because 'it' thinks there is something inherently wrong with artificially elevating one's mood unless it is officially a 'disorder' being treated by the sanctioned mental health industry.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:484874
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.