Agnostic.com

8 0

LINK Catholic Archbishop Says Pedophilia Is 'Spiritual Encounter With God'

Asked whether he was prepared to be jailed for failing to report child sex abuse by Catholic pedophile priests, Archbishop Hart confirmed he was willing to serve prison time. He also claimed the right to cover for pedophiles in the church is an “absolutely sacrosanct communication of a higher order.“

He made the shocking statement in response to the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse which stated there should be “no excuse, protection nor privilege” for Catholic clergy who failed to alert police of abuse within the church.

But Archbishop Hart disagreed and insisted that sexual abuse was “a spiritual encounter with God through the priest” and was “of a higher order” than criminal law.

zblaze 7 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Archbishop Fart did say he would go to prison for not reporting a paedo, if the said pervert had admitted to the abuse in the confessional, but it was the confessional itself he called “a spiritual encounter with God through the priest” and “of a higher order” NOT the actual kiddie fiddling.
HOWEVER that said, confessional or not refusing to report a paedophile to the police when you know what he or she has done or is doing makes you as guilty as the fucker yourself in my book!
In the UK doctors have to report paedos, even if it is discovered under doctor patient privilege, no to do so renders the doctor liable to prosecution, I hope the same is required of priests. I hope they would have the decency and ethics to report it anyway.
But then again these are Catholic priest we are talking about so actual ethics probably are not something they are too familiar with.

Priests also keep the sanctity of the confessional with murderers, rapists, thieves, and on and on.

@RavenCT Just another example of the ludicrous situation where the law says the right to an imaginary friend is greater than the right not to be the victim of crime.

@LenHazell53 I am so very aware.

you said doctors in UK have to report the paedos. I hope it is only the ones who commit a crime. I once read of a young man of 20 who hated himself for being attracted to children. He never acted on it but was afraid. He desperately wanted help and didn't know who to talk to. Naturally, he couldn't confide in his parents or friends so he went to a psychiatrist who told him she had children and couldn't work with him. She gave him no referral, just made him feel worse.

We need to stop this violent talk so we can encourage people to come forward and seek help BEFORE they commit a crime. Personally I feel there must be many more people attracted to children who simply don't act on it. I don't think they can help who they are attracted to but surely we can provide them with support without revealing our revolt.

@MsDemeanour I should have made it clear doctors are only obliged to report offenses, or the well founded suspicion that an offence has been committed.

Another vile addition to the vast back catalogue of abuse and promoting abuse by the Catholic church. If this is actually true the Pope should strip the bishop of all rank (or what ever they call it) but he won't, thereby condoning it through his lack of action.
It would also be appropriate that all Catholics boycott church for a Sunday in protest but they won't thereby condoning this Bishop's actions.
The whole lot of them are a sorry sack of shit.

Very much in agreement!

It is Fake News, Facebook is NOT a source for news, period.

But...,

That sounds like something tRump would say in referring to his sexual dalliances, his supporters already believe it is!

Ho ho! Father has a few little skeletons in his closet, methinks!

My apologies for posting this article. I didn't fact check it because it sounded completely believable to me. I got it from FaceBook which is not my usual source for articles.
That being said, I've heard some pretty fishy things about SNOPES. I suppose they are correct about this article.
From Snopes; However, the claim that Archbishop Hart called sexual abuse a “spiritual encounter with God” is blatantly false. Despite that detail, the claim has been the basis of many subsequent republications and reiterations of Neon Nettle’s article — including one published by the equally dubious YourNewsWire.com — in February 2018.

In reality, Archbishop Hart said that confession, not sexual abuse, was “a spiritual encounter with God through the priest.” In a statement released in August 2017, Hart wrote:

Confession in the Catholic Church is a spiritual encounter with God through the priest. It is a fundamental part of the freedom of religion, and it is recognised in the Law of Australia and many other countries.

Lovely....and to think I wasn't already feeling warm & fuzzy today already......

This is fake news. You might not like any religion but lying about it is not something to be encouraged.

FALSE
Snopes
[snopes.com]

However, the claim that Archbishop Hart called sexual abuse a “spiritual encounter with God” is blatantly false. Despite that detail, the claim has been the basis of many subsequent republications and reiterations of Neon Nettle’s article — including one published by the equally dubious YourNewsWire.com — in February 2018.

cava Level 7 Apr 2, 2018

@Bierbasstard on the other hand, is there anyone who doubts pedophiles (not just priests) tell themselves something similar?

@Bierbasstard that was Not a criticism! I too will point out false reports, and am embarrassed I didn't check it out before my original post...but this last post is just, sadly, true...and explains why people immediately accepted the story as true

They twisted his statement, which was bad enough. He said he would not violate the confessional, that IF a pedophile confessed he would not turn them in, they wrote that if a priet raped a child that was from God. What he said was sick enough on its own.

"The archbishop of the archdiocese of Melbourne, Denis Hart, said he would risk going to jail rather than report allegations of child sexual abuse raised during confession, and that the sacredness of communication with God during confession should be above the law.

He was responding to a report from the child sex abuse royal commission calling for reforms that, if adopted by governments, would see failure to report child sex abuse in institutions become a criminal offence, extending to information given in religious confessions."

[theguardian.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48624
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.