Agnostic.com

9 0

In the absence of theism what are the big questions in life you contemplate?

Since most of us here don't get to write stuff off with hand waving "It's god's work" and "God only knows" type answers, I'm wondering what big questions in life other people ponder.

I think for me as a physicist and software engineer it is mostly pondering the nature of consciousness and whether we have free will. I'm deeply fascinated by the notion of artificial intelligence all all those movies and shows that deal with self aware machines fascinate me. That's especially true where the machines are doing the same thing. Like Westworld, Humans, Blade Runner, Ex-machina, Bicentennial Man, and A.I.

prometheus 7 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My biggest concentration of thinking is whether to have sausages or mushroom risotto for tea later.

All else pales into insignificance.

It’s real and in front of me. There is no hypothetical sense of duty involved.

As far as free will is concerned I think I have but if I haven’t it’s pointless to ponder it and if I haven’t I have no choice in whether I ponder it or not. Ergo pointless waste of life!

I've settled things in my mind and don't rarely think of the big questions anymore. I'm good with knowing when we die we go back to the elements we came from. I wouldn't want any part of any gods I've heard of.

Right now I'm thinking about Robert Pirsig's metaphysics of quality and the way in which the intuitive and rational mind cohabitate in Iain McGilchrist's work. Sometimes I wonder how god belief arose in humans and how it has shaped us for better and worse.

Whether Wathey’s hypothesis turns out to be the exact mechanism or not, it’s a good read for helping understand how it could have come about biologically.
[amazon.com]

@skado I looked at the description of the book in the link. I certainly think that whatever it is which has given rise to and continues to support god belief is entirely natural. It's onboard, not out there and it doesn't plug into anything centralized but rather arises as we do at birth and finishes when we do when we die.

@MarkWD
Yes, exactly.

I like thinking about this kind of stuff:

[agnostic.com]

skado Level 9 Apr 19, 2020

The big question that plagues me most is that in world no one has an excuse to be ignorant or ill informed "Why are so many people so fucking stupid" ?

Information abounds in this day and age. Unfortunately, prejudice, willful ignorance, willful stupidity, malice and arrogance also abound.

@anglophone
SWOT, brainbox (hurls wet toilet rolls at the nerd)
Hurhurhurhur, hyuk, raspberry!

@anglophone yeah willful ignorance explains a lot. I fear in the future historians will conclude this race has amused itself to death...

Someone told them ignorance is bliss and they took the blue pill.

I wonder about many of the 'big' questions sometimes, but I think that the biggest thing that it is possible to do, is to learn to be comfortable with, I don't know, as an answer. And also to know the difference between knowing and speculating. Since speculation is a fine servant and entertainer, but a very bad ruler.

That I think is the biggest difference between religious and secular thought, religion teaches people not to be happy with not knowing. It feeds the fear of the unknown just as it feeds that of death, in order that it can pose as the giver of answers. Which is of course why it is forced into defending fake and false answers.

there is no “religion”

It's ironic they could feed the fear of not knowing by teaching how not to know anything at all.

@prometheus Which of course it does by, making people think that they know everything.

@Fernapple too true. Never met such a bunch of empty headed know nothing know it alls...

The big questions in my mind are why does anything exist in the first place, where did the laws of nature come from, how did life get started, why am I me and not you, what is the nature of conscious awareness, and finally, what is the nature of ultimate reality beyond the senses.

I’m totally bewildered. If you can give me the answers I’ll shut up.

The anthropic principle applies quite a bit here. But then you have to figure out what it is about the rules that supports conscious life so that we are here pondering the rules...

As for existence... I think of the infinite complexity and beauty of the Mandelbrot Set (et al) which existed in plain sight for millennia before humans figured out how to see it. So maybe there is a similar situation with the universe as a whole?

@prometheus Yes, our perception is very limited—limited by our imaginary reality model and by sensory input which is very sparse and selective in the first place and in addition gets filtered down to bare necessities needed for survival by our subconscious.

Even if physicists figure out a few simple rules for modeling reality mathematically, I don’t see how those models would explain anything on a deep level. The deep questions would remain.

What is behind it all?

I'm very interested in Panpsychism and the nature of consciousness, favoring the idea it is possessed by every particle of matter, from barely-conscious quarks to partially-conscious humans, to nearly fully-conscious beings on possible higher planes or dimensions.
A nearly superstition-free agnostic, I'm open to all new information of which I become aware.
On free will, right now I think I have it, given my limitations.
If you mean, VERSUS ' 'predeterminalism,' that's an old Catholic fiction and presupposes an all-knowing 'god' who can tell the future.
Sorry. Short of string theory ideas about non-linear time (bizarre), free will is my default position.
I've a million interests...another is the emerging world government nobody will see coming until it's here. That'll be a great leap forward.

I've thought about that before apparently without even knowing there is a name for it. I think living with mammals that aren't humans gives you the idea that clearly we are not the only conscious creatures (or things) in the world. Which begs the question what is consciousness like for mammals like your cat or dog? And what about for an ape or a cow or a mouse or a fly? Is there a binary point around consciousness or does it made to black? If the former what causes that transition - sufficient memory, ability to recognise self... And if the latter how do we measure it from dumb rock to smart human and what controls how much you get - number of braincells, training, vocal cords, brain composition, or ???

@prometheus Take a dog, the closest to humans emotionally. Same blood, heart, lungs, etc. Similar memory, five senses, intelligent...what's different?
Scientists identified the 'inferior frontal gyrus' as what gives us the ability to think abstractly, be self-aware, etc., which is our evolutionary leap. It allows us an additional level of consciousness, makes us unique. (It's what extraterrestials bred into us, arguably.)
If it's true the universe is eternal, having no beginning or end (Big Bounce v. Big Bang), IT is 'god,' then. WHAT is the universe? Indestructible matter and energy, right, two forms of the same thing, which cannot be created or destroyed?
But is it self-aware? Maybe not, in and of itself. THAT WE KNOW OF.
Did the universe (matter/energy) EVOLVE self-awareness? Did it have it intrinsically or did it need a place to 'reside?'
Am I saying the universe "caused" self-awareness deliberately? No. It IS beholden to it's own self-contained laws, and so self-awareness must be contained WITHIN those physical laws.

@Storm1752 do we actually know dogs and other mammals aren't self aware?

"Hairy wanderer or cosmic muffin" ? -- sorry, I couldn't resist. 😮 😛

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:486435
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.