Agnostic.com

5 1

I seems to me that Mike Pence is a serious threat to agnostic and atheist views in America - freedom of religion. How come he is not challenged more for trying to bring a religious viewpoint into governance in the USA?

Desertology 4 Nov 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pence is the problem with getting rid of Dumpster. Dumpster’s ethos seems to be, “me first, last and always.” Pence’s seems to be, “I know better about how every one else should live their lives.” If Dumpster goes, I’m not sure we would be much better off. At least Dumpster has no idea of how to further his agenda. Pence, on the other hand, actually knows how government works. And if Pence goes, then Ryan would be next. Quite the quandary!

Because the Republicans and evangelical Christian leaders both genuinely lust for power and are joining forces to achieve that for both -- outright collusion.

Too many apathetic people make it difficult to be heard.

SamL Level 7 Nov 23, 2017

Sheer denial. I brought up this point when debating an atheist Trump supporter. He insists that Pence keeps his religious views out of politics. I cited his Religious Freedom Restoration Act that allows people to deny service and employment on religious grounds, his denial of evolution, and his pushing for abstinence only education over safe sex edu and Planned Parenthood. Guy said that people being fired or denied service under the RFRA wasn’t an “epidemic” therefore irrelevant, and the VP can’t “push” legislation because he can’t directly author and present bills himself; indeed, the VP lacks any legislative power whatsoever (tie breaker votes don’t count).

I don't think Pence has the influence and support necessary to infringe upon the First Amendment. Where Trump skirts by on his rhetoric, holding 37% of the population in his thrall, Pence just doesn't seem to have that charisma.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4865
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.