Agnostic.com

56 7

Does anyone shy away from using a company who promotes religious ideals?

Should religion be kept out of business?

Should small business have the right to promote their values in advertising?

Alimacbean 7 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I refuse to give my hard earned money to overly wealthy theist bigots who push their agenda through their businesses. Those like Chic-fil-a and Hobby Lobby will never see a penny of my wages as long as they discriminate those who do not share their world view. I always thought the ultimate goal as a business was to get all they money you can. Didn't know that LGBT money or anyone else that they discriminate against had different colors of currency. Fucking theistic morons! Fuck'em!

Yeah. Fuck 'em.

Yeah I pretty much avoid stores or restaurants that are overtly pushing their religious views. There’s a restaurant up here that has the Jesus fish on their sign and I refuse to eat there specifically because of that. I hear their food is pretty good but I’ll pass.

Is that Jim bobs? They have bible verses on their walls too. Subtle.

@janniegirl yup lol Jim Bob’s

I avoid companies that make the mistake of publicly stating their religious undertones. It's short-sighted for any business to risk alienating any portion of their customers by declaring their personal views. Ex: That bakery could have given any reason for refusing to make a cake for that gay couple, but they made the fatal flaw of stating specifically religious reasons, thus alienating their reasonable customers and eventually losing enough money to close their business.
Any business has the right to declare their views; it's just not smart to do so.

Of course, they WANT to say why they're denying making a cake, as such to promote their ideals. And of course they're being persecuted for denying the cake and having to close the bakery.

Oh, God yes, I'll boycott those stores. The only reason I'd ever go in a Hobby Lobby would be to fill a cart full of very expensive hobby paints and tools, and after it rings up, change my mind, because they don't want me to exist, anyway. I won't do this, but yeah, I have a major problem with those fucks.

Yep. I've never set foot in HL.

Chick FIL A
Cracker Barrell
Hobby Lobby

Yup.

I also boycott Jimmy Johns because the CEO is a trophy hunter

@Missymaebee
Good to know. They are freaky fast off my list of places to eat.

Yes, I avoid places like Chick-fil-A and Hobby Lobby that discriminate on the basis of their religion.

They absolutely have the right to promote values. Just as I have the right to shop elsewhere if I disagree with values.

You meant "to promote THEIR values"? Everybody have values...the fact that one person's may be different from the neighbor's doesn't mean those are not values.

I won't shop at Hobby Lobby anymore, and it's a shame because I really like it. I've never been to a Chick-Fil-A and I won't go to one. Businesses should be able to promote their values, but they have to accept the consequences if those values are unpopular. I'm sure there are people who go to Hobby Lobby and Chick-Fil-A specifically BECAUSE of their public religious stances.

I successfully avoided HobbyLobby for several years but did break down last year to get decorations for my daughter's high school graduation. Haven't been back since. Even though I'm an advid crocheter and they have the SOFTEST brand of yarn. no Chick-Fil-A in my city but I wouldn't go if we did.

I'm sure my lack of business isn't hurting them but I do feel better not giving my money to them.

Absolutely! Complete no to Chik Fil A, Hobby Lobby, Papa John's, Home Depot, but this is easy because I live an hour from the nearest of them. Harder is limiting use of WalMart, and Amazon. It is easier for me to avoid fast food exploiters, because the products are crap. On line avoidance of Trump merch sellers or supporters is easy. Although sometimes I've really had to cave for Amazon. I'm rural, so there is a desperation factor.

nomyth Level 3 July 15, 2018

If they throw it out their obnoxiously I will not patronize them, Hobby Lobby, Chic Fil A, Dominoes Pizza or anyplace with the dead fish Icon on their vehicles or signs. That said if I walk into a business and they have an Icon and treat me neutrally I am fine with it.

I boycot them religiously! 🙂

By default, religion should be kept out of everyone's business. One should have to opt in.

If a small business, (or a large business) chooses to publicise their beliefs and objectives, they should have every right to do so. However, this should not extend to forcing them on to those who do not share those beliefs. It's much the same as when a company announces it has a policy of ecological sustainably or ethical sourcing. Those who approve will patronise - but those who don't should not be forced to hand over their custom.

Indeed religion should not be part of business

Yes, the NRA!

It depends on what religious ideal they are promoting. For example, if it were feeding the hungry I might not have a problem with that. On the other hand, if it were something like refusing service to homosexuals cuz-a-wat-da-bi-boo-say, then I probably would not give them my business. Should a business have the right to promote their values in advertising? Again, it depends on how they are doing it. Advertising is a tax deductible business expense for corporations. If they are using any kind of soteriological scripture verses in their ad I don't think they should be able to recieve that tax benefit as they are prostelitizing.

I make it a practice to never set foot in Hobby Lobby or Ckick Fil A. If I go into a store that has overt religious symbols or that fake god loves you crap I turn around and leave.

BillF Level 7 Apr 2, 2018

I boycott Hobby Lobby, Truevalue Hardware. Home Depot.
Evangelical & Tea party dolts.

Always!

I avoid them whenever possible. I don't go to Chik-fil-A, for example. I think small business owners have the right to promote their values, but I also think we should make a bigger deal of pointing out the contradictions between their beliefs and their actions.

Yes I ban them

It's their business, they can if they want, but I reserve the right to go somewhere else.

In n Out doesn't bother me, they are so low key about it you really have to search for it (It's on the bottom of the cups).

I will generally ignore it unless it's shoved in my face as in the case of Hobby Lobby.

Yes, I avoid halal and kosher products and the companies that make them, I also boycott Gloria Jeans and any others that I find are religious, of course it includes Sanitarium.

I avoid Hobby Lobby and chick file a like a plague that has its own plague. And anyplace else that's obvious about its religiosity--i will turn right around and leave.

On one hand, I think it's trivial. On the other hand, I don't want to give my business to companies that have oppressive stances (which seems to hand in hand with upholding their religious 'values'😉. I don't look at every company I buy from, or each product I buy. But the ones that are known for this, I take my business elsewhere.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48664
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.