Agnostic.com

15 11

does anyone else watch Matt Dillahunty on the Athiest connection. I can't believe some of the people that call in to his show. They all seem to have the same story and no evidence.

AgnoJer 5 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have seen Matt a good number of times. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but sometimes he can be a horse's behind with his interaction with others. I understand why, with some of these christians being so short sighted and close minded.
Personally, I like Matt and find him to be knowledgeable of the material he debates about.

I have thought about that and he likely would not have a show if : someone showed up with absolute proof of a deity (not likely) or if he didn't entertain the same old excuses and bromide time after time. I enjoy the videos, but sometimes it's like the "fire island" show. If they actually found the treasure, the show would be over.

I like Bart Ehrman who has a lot on You Tube. Both are very well educated as to defending their positions. Christopher Hitchens was another phenomenon.

Periodically. I enjoyed it more when Tracy and Jen were on.

gearl Level 8 Apr 23, 2020

Interesting cat. I "liked" him on Google. I'll watch some of his videos some time in the future.

I listen to The Atheist Experience religiously oops did I say religiously maybe habit is a better word I don't know

Never heard of him but I will check it out, thanks.

And if wierd callers are what you're into, just watch Cspan in the morning. The guy that reads the nation's headlines takes calls whilst doing so. Very, very interesting. And very scary their votes count as much as anyone else's...

why do you tune in if what is said doesn't comport with your views? that is masochistic

What you said is true for all Christians.

I love the callers who try to persuade him with twisted logic, then when Dillahunty shuts them down with simple arguments, they say "How about if I come over there and punch your face?"

BD66 Level 8 Apr 21, 2020

Yes. I listen to it almost every week. I've met a few of the hosts. I think they are in my profile photos. If not, I'll add them.

I'v watched the Atheist Experience quite a bit myself.

I've watched the show for years and I'm always amazed at callers who cannot answer a simple yes or no question. Most of them can't and they have repeats of the same old arguments to try and convince you there is a god. The god believers are also very dumb in thinking Matt and others on the show have to "prove their position." How would I have to prove to you anything about my not believing in a god?

I used to love watching. They had a variety of hosts like Russel, Jeff Dee, Tracie, Russell, Martin and Matt. There were others before them that I didn't see. When I first watched, it was mainly believers with a conviction that their god was real, and they talked like the Christians I know. The best hosts have left the show for one reason or another, and now all you get calling in are apologists playing word games trying to talk God into existence. I still listen to it sometimes but I'm always disappointed.

I watch the show as much as possible, however, living here in Australia means the show airs (for me anyway) on a monday morning. This makes watching it live extreemly awkward. However, I also have emailed the show and recieved a responce. Personally I think Word (the guy who obviously doesn't understand the term Atheist) is a closet theist but wants to pretend to the world he doesn't believe in a god.
To me the most important question is when is the unholy trinity going to return to us "down under"?

I watch the show when I want or need to feel smug and superior. Those callers make it so easy.

Btw I’m more of a Tracy fan. She’s so much better at not being a dick😉. So eloquent.

I have been watching Matt and the show for many years, in fact, some of the shows I have watched multiple times.

The patterns, apologies, "evidence", story theists offer never changes, it is truly depressing.

I have sent a few emails to their show and gotten responses most of the time. They had invited me to give them a call sometime when their show aired. Their illogical atheism as with any illogical atheism couldn't hang with my discussions. I have never called-in for the most part because I don't have interest in debate. I don't mind having discussions but to argue, especially with someone that is on the incorrect (or could I say a losing side) of an argument is not even worth getting into an argument with in the first place.

Word Level 8 Apr 21, 2020

Where the hell are you coming from?

Illogical atheism??? Matt is the most logical person I know, certainly the atheist with the best use of formal logic and the avoidance of logical fallacies.

You sound like a butthurt Christian.

@Corden I do not have to go far to explain atheism by definition(s) and premise(s) to be rather illogical.

Matt may very well be logical when it comes to adding 1+1=2 or any other sort of topic that does not include discussion or debate about atheism, theism or god thingies in general. However, in the realm of atheism, as an atheist, it is rather illogical to debate something that is illogical as if it were logical.

@Corden And no, I am not a christian.

@Word An atheist is somebody who is not convinced that there is reason to believe that a god exists.

Please point out what is not logical about that.

@Corden So, you change the definition of atheism to attempt to make it more logical? Or, you like this word atheism for with it implicates but you use your own specific definition that you and/or a few atheist come up with to give for an attempt at a more logical definition for atheism?

@Corden You are talking about one defination and I am talking about a different defination. it would be illogical to discuss my defination in context of your defination and visa versa

@Word Nice chickenshit response. That is an accepted definition. That is the definition Matt uses.

But good luck. Still think you're a theist.

@Word PS, I don't debate with people who can't spell definition.

@Corden The “a-” in “atheism” must be understood as negation instead of absence, as “not” instead of “without”. Therefore, in philosophy at least, atheism should be construed as the proposition that God does not exist (or, more broadly, the proposition that there are no gods). [plato.stanford.edu]

By this definition, atheism is s claim that atheist says "God thingies do not exist ".

@Corden it would be better to label me as an anti-atheismist than to label me a theist.

@Corden I am somebody who is not convinced that there is reason to believe that a logical atheist exists.

If you can convince me otherwise please show me an atheist that is logical in their atheism.

@Corden definitian, dafination, defanition ... I am not here to debate. I am more than happy that you wish not to debate. If you care to have a discussion, please feel free to share and discuss ideals, thoughts and understandings while FREELY THINKING. As we have a dialog, either of us might could benefit from such dialog.

However, if you FREELY THINK I am here for debate please consider these 3 words before you choose to go about your merry way: definitian, dafination, defanition

You wouldn't stand a minute against Matt's arguments... Sorry, but it's true...

@tsallinia You may very well be correct because I do not have any need to argue. A fence post would work well to stand up against Matt's argument and if Mr. Matt would like to argue, he can argue all day with a fence post until he is blue in the face. Why should I stand around and worry about standing up to illogical arguement?

@Word
Atheism/Atheist comes from the Greek atheos theos meaning God and a- meaning without, lacking or not, very much depending on context of use .
Therefore Atheist/atheism CANNOT be directly translated back from the Greek because it is not a Greek word, it is an appropriation of the Greek inference in to English.
This being the case it must be taken in light of the original intent and in all etymological investigations of the prefix a- in this case and context means "without"
If as stated in this frankly ill informed article it is to be assumed to mean not the word becomes contextually illogical since to express the sentiment not god you would use the terms ochi or den rather than a- to achieve the sentiment expressed in the article.

@LenHazell53 First you say, "Atheist comes from the Greek atheos". Then later you say, "...CANNOT be directly translated back from the Greek because it is not a Greek word..."

Can you explain the above?

Otherwise, below I copied from wikipedia something that might seem to make sense.

The etymological root for the word atheism originated before the 5th century BCE from the ancient Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god(s)". In antiquity, it had multiple uses as a pejorative term applied to those thought to reject the gods worshiped by the larger society,[13] those who were forsaken by the gods, or those who had no commitment to belief in the gods.[14] The term denoted a social category created by orthodox religionists into which those who did not share their religious beliefs were placed.[14] The actual term atheism emerged first in the 16th century.[15] With the spread of freethought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to identify themselves using the word atheist lived in the 18th century during the Age of Enlightenment.[16][15] The French Revolution, noted for its "unprecedented atheism," witnessed the first major political movement in history to advocate for the supremacy of human reason.[17]

@Word Oh I'm sorry I assumed you could read.
I said Atheism/Atheist, ENGLISH words, cannot be translated from Greek, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GREEK WORDS but are derived from them.
Second quoting Wikipedia as academic source material? Why not quote from you Archie comics collection, it's worth about as much.
I think you are just that sort of person , who is looking to make his normal insignificant little life seem important t himself by adopting an "intellectual" position that puts him at odds with everyone else, avoids actual intellectual discussion with actual academics who might point out what they really are and instead keep a score sheet of "victories" on the wall of there bedroom in there mums house so they can feel they have enough self worth to masturabate themselves to sleep at night having "achieved" something on that day.

@Word You are somebody who likes to fuck with others because apparently you:
A. Have no life and nothing better to do with your time.
B. Are a dick in general and love a good argument.
C. Have a desperate desire to convert all us heathens to your distorted view.
You are wasting your time dude. Get a hobby.

@LenHazell53 First, I can read but with amblyopia in my left eye my vision can quickly get blurry.

For your second, where is there free academic source material accessible as wikipedia for some means of information?

From there why should I even try to engage you with you sin of ad hominem attacks against me that has nothing to do with having a truely intellectual discussion. Please feel free to give an intellectual academic explination for such erroneous unfounded comments directed towards me.

But if you think you must know: "normal life", no. Keeping score, worried about "victories" or staying at my Mom's,( not mum's ) house, no, I am not at mom's house. What college academics I have been able to enjoy I have been able to maintain a 4.0 g.p.a. if it means anything to you. As for it means very little of nothing to me and I do not care about any significants or insignificance of my life in this world. I could really care less about living but as I spoke with a well trained professional just yesterday in a psychological evaluation, I just don't consider myself suicidal. And I would prefer enjoy this homeless shelter and its creature comforts of a bed over sleeping underneath a bridge on the ground.

@Word OK, maybe they should just cancel the show then, huh.

@Word I think it's clear why you never called the show.

@DenoPenno They could cancel basketball, hockey and every other sports show for all I care. But, there are those that like that sort of entertainment. No difference with these atheist agenda shows that do illogical things in the name of logic. Just entertainment that could provide about as much knowledge as a rerun of the T.V. series MacGyver.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:487145
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.