Agnostic.com

12 18

Did you know that grass blooms? Felt like an idiot.

"What are these delicate little flowers?" I asked Karen during our hike yesterday.

"The grass is blooming," she replied. Blooming grass?

"Of course all plants make flowers," I thought. "That's how they reproduce." Smacks forehead.

Besotted with wildflowers and mountain views, I never pay much attention to grasses.

But I love golden grasses with heavy seed-heads rippling in the wind. Reminds me of rhythmic ocean waves.

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Where did you think grass seed comes from? The seed factory? Seeds (and fruit) come from pollinated flowers. I was just about to say you need to get outside and smell the flowers more... then I saw the poster. Just a little surprised, Kathleen. Newsflash... all those trees and most other green things you hike amongst flower, too! Enjoy them... get to know them. They're your friends. Happy 50th Earth Day! 😉

@mtnhome

I never noticed a grass flower before. Seed-heads, yes.

Grass flowers are the the color of grass. Hard to see. They don't stand out like normal flowers.

@LiterateHiker Yep... people tend to think "florist" when they think of flowers, but that represents a tiny slice of the pie. Here's a broader clue... think "pollen"! Pollen is the sperm, if you will, of the plant's flower (think private parts). Now those grass flowers have your attention? 😉 Walk through a dry field of tall flowering grass and you CAN actually "smell the flowers"... just before you have a severe allergic reaction. I'm a Plant Science graduate and worked for many years in greenhouses and various horticultural endeavors, thus my need to jump in on this post. Now you'll be seeing flowers everywhere on your hikes! 🙂

@LiterateHiker Just now crosses my mind that grasses may be wind pollinated, so attracting attention might not be much (if any ) of an advantage. Grasslands tend to be flatter, more open areas, so wind is usually available. Any one know for sure?

@alliwant I think you're on to something there.

Yeah and some of it runs.

@Lorajay

What do you mean?

@LiterateHiker Many species of grass develop runners to propagate.

Well, there is grass and then there is grass.

Not the same types of blooms as flowers, but they do go to seed.

Nice pictures

I think those of us with grass allergies have no choice but to know that. Also, we live on farmland that is left wild (except for the areas kept for horse pastures, wild until the horses go munching away).

grasses and grains their flowers are not stand outish like most of the other plants so is something that we do not pay much attention to even though it is right there in front of us,we just do not recognise their very subtle flowers as flowers as they are not colour full like the flower plants

Also.. People mow their lawns

so true,especially city folks,those in the country see a different picture of it

You're not alone. I just had my mind blown over the elusive concept of blooming grass 😂

I think I just learned something here.

Love the honesty! 🙂

No I didn't...

Yup

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 22, 2020
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:487783
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.