Agnostic.com

58 10

Does someone have to be college educated to be intelligent?

It certainly can help, but is it a must? I don't think it is a guarantee. I think it depends on your line of work. I can have in-depth philosophical conversations with all of my college counterparts (one's that are very well-versed in a wide array of topics, one's that I do consider intelligent). I have gained general knowledge about many topics through research and reading many books. In other words, I responsibly took matters into my own hands because I never really cared for the structure of our schools. I can outwit plenty of college-educated folks (especially theists), because I noticed that even if they are reasonable with most things, they can be unreasonable with other things (I'm in no way implying that people that are not college educated are more intelligent on average, just that it is possible). I'd like think I have done my best without college. I still have taken several of college workshop classes that are structured differently since I found them to be much more useful in my personal pursuit of knowledge. What do you think?

AustinSkepticus 7 Apr 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

58 comments (51 - 58)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well look at Trump and you have your answer from the reverse appoach

EMC2 Level 8 Apr 5, 2018

Intelligence has nothing at all to do with level of education.

No, I was smart before I was ever college educated...but with one caveat: college does broaden and deepen your experience in ways being the smartest kid in the room cannot. That is the value of a liberal education in a STEM world.

Intelligence is an innate capability one is born with. Education will help sharpen that skill. But education cannot give you the capability, only the knowledge.

marga Level 7 Apr 16, 2018

There is intelligence. And there is education. Both of these things may co-exist, but often not.

Look, I can write a brief really well. I would not know how to fix a car. These two things are differently intelligent (although, in a zombie apocalypse, fixing a car would be more useful).

My point is that a college education is a chimera - the idea that it's more than it is. You sound like you've evaded that.

I have seen it go both ways. I knew someone in the 70's that was completely self trained machinist that made all kinds of things for the rail road. I have also seen teams of ivy league schooled experts who read trendy magazines come into several companies and run them into the ground. It often comes down to barriers that person was not able to overcome but learned anyway vs a person who has so many resources that no barrier can prevent him from attaining a position he is completely unable to handle and immune to any blame for their mistakes.

Not at all.
I have a tested I.Q. of 137 and hold no degrees. I took the classes I needed to accomplish my goals, and succeeded.
My ex has two degrees and is a total failure.

One of my best friends was a software engineer making 200k per year and left it to go back to law school and is now an attorney, and he calls me the smartest guy he knows.
Not bragging, just using as an example.

No. Many people drop out of college and are still successful.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:48822
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.