Agnostic.com

27 13

Are you playing a musical instrument while stuck at home?

Today I was feeling despair over being stuck-at-home. Tired of jigsaw puzzles, reading, sewing masks, cooking and watching Netflix.

Thank goodness I'm hiking tomorrow! But today....

Started playing flute again. Glad I still have a vibrato. Haven't played in three years. Began flute lessons at age eight.

Playing music grounds me and provides emotional expression. Love music in a minor key: it's more expressive and beautifully aching, compared to bright and cheery marches (major key). Played jazz at the University of Michigan.

Got a metronome because I was not sticking to the beat. Jazz solos will do that to you. (That's my excuse.) Seeing a video of me playing, I felt horrified. Other people didn't notice it. Enter the nagging metronome. Feels like a conductor is slashing his baton with every beat.

Taped to the music stand are tips from when I taught flute lessons in college:

1. Egg on tongue.
  2. Blow warm air.
  3. Big belly.
  4. Raise chin to taper notes.
  5. Teeth apart.
  6. Blow warm air like steaming up glass.

Anyone else playing a musical instrument? How does it help you?

LiterateHiker 9 Apr 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I wish I could play an instrument but so far I have been to lazy to stick to anything. All that practice is getting in the way of living. Perhaps when I retire................

You could always Start.

Thank you for the reminder it's a good idea to invest some of this extra time in practicing (and lrarning) a musical instrument.

and also thanks for the practice tips for flute.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:489883
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.