Agnostic.com

7 4

Gender roles

Hi guys,do you think gender roles came by way of the evolutionary process and do u think its still necessary in the 21st century?

deniskosei 2 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No I don't. I have read that it came about through the agricultural revolution and was spread around by the colonialists across the world. That and stupid religions being patriarchal (the abrahamic one and hinduism) and assigning roles for men and women. If you look at societies in north america pre-colonization, as an example, the US/Canada had matriarchal and/or matrilineal societies. Women held the power and were leaders of tribes. Then, the colonialists came and dismantled such systems as they would only do business with men of the tribes.
So it is not a natural evolutionary process, but rather, was quite intentionally based and taught wherever it spread.

Not to mention, the way I define evolution does not incorporate gender norms.

Evolution: a change in allele frequencies in a population over time.

I believe gender roles originated naturally, from slight gender-based differences to the elaborate and unnecessary differences we observe.

Raising and feeding children is a full time job. It makes sense that the people who bear and feed the children stick together. And since its a community effort, the women involved in it were not limited to the women who were raising their own children. Human civilization seems to be based on the women.

Males don't bear children or deliver milk. They get to be mobile. And someone has to hunt and explore.

I think gender roles began with child-raising and hunting, two gender-based activities.

Gender roles came about through necessity and they aren't needed anymore...

Yes, this has been my opinion for many years. Human civilization has succeeded in making most gender-based roles obsolete. Ironically, old gender roles are largely responsible for making human civilization successful, thus making them selves obsolete.

My dad taught me how to cook and be independent, taught my sons the same

bobwjr Level 10 Apr 29, 2020

Gender roles = sexism. Of course it needs to change.

I met 16 man-children in their 50s who never learned to cook.

"I would be a great sous chef!" they all bragged before meeting. Yet they sat their butts while I cooked, waiting for me to set food in front of them. Lazy bastards.

"How do you slice a lemon?" a lawyer asked helplessly.

Essentially they want a mommy to wait on them- doing all of the cooking, cleaning and housework- and great sex. FLUSH.

No it's not by evolutionary process unless you consider men being stronger physically the evolutionary process. There should be no "gender roles." However, regarding childbirth, since breastfeeding is important to some, it's tough for men to do that 😉

lerlo Level 8 Apr 28, 2020

The roles should not be imposed, but I doubt those role differences will ever disappear. Yes, through the evolutionary process gender roles are deeply imbedded in humans as they are in many other species of animals.

Young women carry the future of humanity inside their bodies. That’s a role not likely to change.

I think that when we lived in tribes where the women couldn't hunt because of pregnancy etc and someone needed to stay behind and look after the weak and young, then they were useful. Those conditions no longer exist and women are demonstrably more capable than men in many circumstances, so gender roles are just an anachronism that we need to discard.

@Allamanda your second point I'd largely agree with and it is possibly worse for you than in aussie. Your first point though, I stated, more capable in many, which leaves open the idea that there may be jobs each gender could be better suited to. However your comparison of men's vs women's greater strength and height is a comparison of AVERAGES and the full spectrum overlaps considerably, so there are women who are much stronger than the average man or taller than the average man and so those women could do that job. I know you said, on the whole, but the overlap is greater than most believe, and also biassed becsuse girls are discouraged from activities which encorage the development of strength. If the employment market were equally available to all you would find women fitting into those positions (as they do in aussie) and in the same way that men can and do become carers. I know a specific instance of an woman 6'8" tall, who could bench press Arnie in his heyday and who is in our equivalent of your special forces. She can do anything a man can do employment wise and she could easily win most beauty contests.

@Allamanda good point, but I don't think we need to take the extremes to make the point. Your dad was obviously a powerful man, but labour laws in aussie limit the weight that a person is expected to lift to ensure labourers are not over extended and it is within the average women's capacity (around 25kg I believe). When it comes to physical work, women have an advantage in endurance. In general women can endure more for longer ( thank fuck or they'd bever tolerate us 😄) and are far more tolerant of discomfort and pain. Measures of pain tolerance show that women who have had a natural childbirth far outstrip men and other women in pain tolerance.

@Allamanda just fir example as well, employers in aussie are finding women better suited for traditional male jobs. Women are prefered as plant operators and driving those huge tip trucks because they've found they are more gentle on the maxhinery and the plant lasts longer. They make better truck drivers for the same reason and are more tolerant of other drivers. I don't especially like the idea that women are men's superior in many ways but I'd be a fool to ignore the evidence I've seen, and I'm a tough old bastard that doesn't take second place to anyone if I can help it. Women tolerate being beaten up every day for the sake of their children etc etc.

@Allamanda yes, and many fail to recognise the sheer guts and endurance that takes. I observe in awe and I'll be damned if I want to swap places. I'm thankful of my luck in being born white male because it is an easy and very privileged position.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:490051
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.