Agnostic.com

11 5

"When considering how to answer the question How should we live?, we should first reflect on how it is being asked – is it a cognitive question looking for a literal matter-of-fact answer, or is it also in part a non-cognitive spiritual remark in answer to a particular human, and particularly human, situation? This question, so often asked by us in times of crisis and despair, or love and joy, expresses and indeed defines our sense of humanity."
from Aeon, [aeon.co]

Allamanda 8 May 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Let's see, do you mean something like "Avoid death" as opposed to "Donate to worthy causes: help old people: say your prayers and use Purel"?
\

What is the law? Do as thou wilt but do no harm.

Hmmm
I am trying to think of when i ever asked myself that. How should we live? I never gave it much thought i guess, i just live my day treating others how i want to be treated. And that includes all 4 reactions expressed. So i guess i do not get a non cognitive spiritual situation, it doesnt make sense to me.

We need to determine the desired end to come up with a means. To me, the desired end is a peaceful society with little fear. This, I believe, is a cognitive approach. How should we live? We should treat each other decently.

The non-cognitive spiritual reply to, "how should we live?" I have been told to please God. I asked; "how do you please God?" The answer was the ten commandment. I do not think that this is a terribly cognitive answer. It is too easy as an answer but not so easy as a practice. But I suppose the desired end is to save your soul's hynie. We still have people being horrendous to each other.

MrDMC Level 7 May 1, 2020

Not in vain our struggle if that makes anysense

First, supply basic necessities,
Second, accumulate reserves,
Third, enhance aesthetically,
Fourth, satisfy curiousity,
Fifth, respect 'natural law' and Golden Rule,
Sixth, help deserving others,
Seventh, be kind to oneself.

There is a variant that might be closer to what you are asking. How should one live? The original question could be interpreted to mean the social contract because of the plural we. In the singular, it is about each of us and what we seek to understand.

“If atheists were to argue that slavery cannot be soul-destroying because souls don’t exist, then I would say that there’s a meaning here that’s lost on them by being overly literal.”

Amen!

skado Level 9 May 1, 2020

Keep asking ourselves what is good, what is truth, what is wisdom, and what is beauty.

My go to saying for this answer that I have posted here many times ...
You do you, I do me and let's strive to do or cause no harm.

My grand father recently asked me this question after the passing of his wife. In his case (he's 90) I asked him what he likes to do most. His answer was that he liked to fish. My response was obvious, go fishing. When my step daughter passed 7 years ago the answer was less obvious. I decided to try to live a my life for a higher purpose (helping others) while my ex-chose to do what she loved most, which was travel. Somehow, I think both answers were correct. For most people, I think the answer is probably that a balanced approach would be ideal.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:491343
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.