Agnostic.com

9 2

How many of you are scared ?

Scared of catching the virus yourself as opposed to being scared for the people that will die from it?

I’m just wondering what’s driving the fear reaction we are seeing.

JacobMeyers 6 May 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not so much scared as much as cautiously aware here. Really greatful for the essential persons who are helping keep our key societal functions going. I'm pretty fatalistic about it at this point.... And doing what I can to stay informed about potential treatments.

Que sera sera 😀. I appreciate that sentiment. I mostly feel the same.

Both

Leery of virus

Since I think I may have had it in January/February, and I have no idea if I'm immune, could catch it again, or be contagious myself, I'm only fearful that I might spread the virus to someone - or that I might get it again or for the first time. I'm surely not scared, as I'm being careful, meaning caring for those around me so as not to get them sick.

I live on an island that currently has zero confirmed cases, but we still are following the social distancing guidelines, because we feel that that is what got us to this wonderful point of having zero cases.

The majority of residents on my island do not want to start tourism up again until we have a screening system in place. Right now, we just do temperature checks AND require any arriving traveler to quarantine for 14 days. This isn't being fearful - it's being smart and careful.

Our island is not sick - and so we are going to be a desirable destination for those escaping their cities with higher case loads - but we have the option of doing it safely - so that's what we are doing. The only thing some people might be fearful about is money -- most of us have lost our income - and relief is slow to come in the way of state or federal aid - but waiting until we can open up safely and smartly is what the vast majority of us want.

This break has been good in many ways. AND I think that with the better hygiene and social distancing habits we are learning, I'd be willing to bet the common cold and flu season will be lighter because of our precautions.

My only fear is that people will not take this seriously and try to go back to their 'normal' ways. It will be another lesson we fail to learn.

I think we Have no choice but to go back to our normal Ways. Humans are social creatures and I think there’s too much evolutionary pressure for us to be in groups. I’m a loner so it doesn’t bother me but for a vast majorityOf humans the current social distancing thing is untenable. At least in the long term.

@JacobMeyers Going back to our old ways will mean the social distancing will return probably several times. At some point our sense of survival will have to overtake our sense of being social creatures.

Not worried about myself, but more for my loved ones and others who are likely to be more severely harmed by it.

Zster Level 8 May 2, 2020

I've wondered that myself, as I'm not that concerned over such.

Me either. If it was just me to worry about I’d just as soon go get the virus and see what happens to me.

@JacobMeyers Fear can be a powerful motivator, albeit a poor one...

I'm scared of giving it to someone else, especially people I know who are at higher risk of dying.

I get that. It’s my main concern with elderly parents at home.

@JacobMeyers Two of my closest friends are in their 70s.

Jacob, ask an open-ended question, such as “What scares you?” or the more complicated “If you are seeing any scared people, what do you think is the cause?”

But I didn’t want a conversation, there’s plenty of opinion venting going on already. This is just a curiosity thing for me. Doesn’t matter anyway someone with a nanny mentality Removed it from the main feed.

@Allamanda well that would be fine. I asked an admin so maybe I’ll get a reply and know for sure. Thanks

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:491710
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.