Agnostic.com

27 4

What are the most effective ways adults are recruited to religion and how do we stop them?

We know that one strength of the pernicious religion meme is to require proponents to pass it forward and indoctrinate their young. For sure that's memetics 101 but with modern population growth rates that will only just about maintain numbers over time, if not do worse, depending on the defection rate as participants mature. The much more important factor seems to be the virallity and how many non-religious people each of their members can recruit.

As such I'm wondering what people think are the most powerful ways religion manages to exploit to recruit new members, and what we as a society do to make those ways less effective.

prometheus 7 May 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First we have to start with the idea that humans are animals which evolved with a strtegy to gather in groups for safety. Like it or not our animal instincts are still active and working and are usually expressed as "emotions".

Religion's one positive attribute is that they provide people with a sense of belonging , which fulfills the instinctual need to be a part of a group. Thsi give them an emotional feedback of feeling "safe".

As much as we like to think humans are rational beings, most decisions humans make seem to be based emotionally, nto rationally. So, adults can fall into the comfort of feelign safe because they belong to a (religious) group.

The best way to counter religion is to form and provide other ways of making a person feel safe and accepted without religious belief being attached. The instincts to be a part of a group for safety must be fulfilled in some other way.

Now, the question is "How?" If rational people knew how to do this, chances are religion would hardly exist anymore. Also, most people still make decisions emotionally, not rationally, which further complicates things.

So, there is the basic problem. How else do you give a person that emotional need to feel safe and to belong, without religion. Especially when we humans seem to be hard wired to react emotionally?

Good points in my opinion. The rise of the ironically named "social media" has been a huge negative for actual social interactions. I rather suspect it has helped increase the lack of in person socializing. You can use it to discover local in person social groups - I attend meetings for my sporting, philosophical, work area, and ex-pat communities - but that is probably not the norm. Way too many keyboard warriors like my wife who hardly get out and find the church their only social outlet (thankfully not my wife).

I attend a group called beer not god - it's an eclectic group from lifetime atheists, young and old, to recent cult escapes - quite a few are estranged from their families and former communities.

In England for many "the pub" is their "church". They have them everywhere. Going to the pub is a social event. There isn't the same stigma with it like being a lifetime bar fly in America. You can take your family, have Sunday lunch in the garden, play games, yak the night away, etc. For villages that didn't have a pub they used to have social clubs which basically did the same. Not sure if they still exist much though.

And more local community participation - religion free - would definitely be a good path IMO. However it seems like wherever there is free association of people the religious are out preying on the vulnerable (and praying for them). I don't know what you do about that other being better at helping each other. Unfortunately that's hard and not something everyone is good at or has the time and patience for. The harder up the majority of people are the harder it is to find time to help and support others. Inequity in society just seems to feed people right into the hands of religion as a spiritual bread and circuses solution to everything our wealthy and powerful masters have burdened us with.

@prometheus I had a friend in college, who told me when he lived in San Francisco, there used to be a gay bar called "The Church". He said it allowed him (and his friends) to tell his (their) mother(s) he (they) went to church every Sunday. They just didn't mention the happy hour part.

In Portland Oregon, which has a ton of microbreweries, there is a Meetup.com group called "Queers and Craft Beers". They meetup at micro-brew pubs to socialize, and they also do fundraisers for local charities.

I think they neighborhood bar has been a place to socialize for atheists for quite a while. Up until the lock down, I'd visit my local pub at least three times a month. The only people I knew though was the wait staff.

I tend to agree with "social media" has made people less social. A virtual conversation is just not as satisfying as a real face to face conversation. Also, you learn a lot more about a person by seeing how they carry themselves, and interact with others than you do from a profile.

I remember before th einernet, bck when you actually had to meet people in person, and I managed to meet a lot mroe persons I considered to be of quality than I have using dating sites and social media. In fact all my "committed relationships were (started) before the internet. Of course in the middle of my last rel;ationship, I started to go blind, which means the internet is probably not as much of a factor.

@snytiger6 "The Church"... That's sneaky. Given how many bars are in churches these days (my niece had her wedding reception in one) more of us could use that line.

Simple!!!

Do not bother!!!

You can take a horse to water, you can not make she/he drink the water!!!

@FrankA that's more like I was thinking of. Or to carry on the water metaphor, if religion is carried by mosquitoes then drain the swamps and give everyone free mosquito nets.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:491892
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.