Agnostic.com

50 5

Is there intelligent life out there in the universe?

As a science fiction author I like to dream about possibilities that we have yet to discover. One of those is the possibility for intelligent life in the universe beyond our planet. Curious what others think about the subject.

ChrisJones 6 Apr 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

50 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I feel there would be, though i would be happy enough just to find non earth based life. I love diversity.

There are days I wonder if there is intelligent life here! I see others share my opinion.

But, now that we know the number of possibilities, I'd say yes, there is, but it is likely so far away we will never communicate with them.

About 10 years ago, that very question was asked on yahoo answers. I couldn't help but reply with 'I certainly hope so, because there isn't any down here.'

?

of course . there are 7 trillion galaxies and counting !!!!!!!!!!

Probably. However, the distances involved the ath speed limitations make me think that it is more likely that we woudl get visitors fomr the multiverse or if you will, paralllell exitances of eath, before we encounter extreterestraisl. Meetign others from either though stills seem highly improbable.

Given the numbers I'm confidant there is. Mathematically it makes sense. However I've seen no solid evidence to support my belief. How does that relate to a theist and his belief in a god?

Well, I guess technically it doesn’t. It was just an open ended question. I do however think that a lot of theists will be very disappointed if life out there visited us.

My question was about my belief without concrete evidence. How is it different than a theist?

@warren914 I guess in this case we aren’t necessarily taking it on faith. We don’t know for sure that intelligent life is out there. But we like to consider the possibility and consider what the odds are of such a possibility. Theists take it on faith and consider nothing more than faith. It would never even occur to them that there is at least a possibility that there is no god.

Intelligent life does not need to be space faring or technological either. Then there is the vast amount of distance and time span of the life of the universe. Could have been intelligent races a billion years in the past and others a billion years in the future. Connecting with another intelligent life form is the needle in the haystack given current technology.

One of the problems with setting up a huge radio telescope to search for possible utilisation of the electromagnetic spectrum elsewhere, implying intelligent life, is that by the time those signals reach earth, the life that created it may well be extinct!

Or for that matter that we would even detect it. We are assuming that the intelligent life would be using anything in the spectrum that we can detect. If intelligent life exists out there they could well be using forms of communication that we haven’t even learned of yet.

@ChrisJones The electromagnetic spectrum is by far the most likely, as it covers all frequencies of radiation, from ultra low oscillations to ultra extreme cosmic rays. This would therefore be the most practical form of general communication, especially if intelligent life were trying to contact other life. The other, (very tricky) known means of possible communication involves quantum linking.

@Petter you are correct. I’m not suggesting we shouldn’t be looking for signs in the electromagnetic spectrum. Only that we may very well never get any evidence because we are looking for life based on our own limited understanding.

@ChrisJones Quite possibly. But since the rules of physics would appear to be universal, probably unlikely. Thus, man soldiers on in optimistic expectation.

Sadly, the more pertanent question for me is this: is there intelligent life here on earth ???? I have read several thoughts on that question. some believe that the number of things that had to go right for life to form here make it exceedingly difficult for other planets to do so also. byt the realist in me believes that there has to be. the number of galaxies with billions of stars and planets kind of jiggle the odds to the positive. einstien was probably right about how fast we can eventually travel is the speed of light. and the universe is simply so massive that we would never be able to reach the closest galaxy, much less anything else on the other side of the universe.so it is an open question for us living now. maybe in a thousand years or so we will have the technical capability to create better ways of getting around.

Let's see, billions and billions and billions of stars, the vast majority of which have planets. Yup, there's intelligent life out there somewhere, staring out into the night sky, wondering if they are alone.

Given that they are finding more and more Earth-like planets out there, I should think it is very likely, but they may all be too far away for us to find out. If the human race survives a few hundred years more, perhaps our descendants will know the answer.

Well, seeing as we have another hundred years at most, I would say it's unlikely.

If so, I hope they are far more intelligent and civilized than human beings are.

I sure hope so...

Yes why would we be the only ones in
this universe,of course there's other life
on other planets, I don't know where
but I know for a fact there is, when I was a kid I had a UFO in counter, of course when I tell anyone they don't wanna believe me
but I did, I was about 7 or 8 years old
I was out in my yard and a strong wind was blowing and sky got a little bit dark
then I looked up into the sky and seen this
extremely large disc like shape huge
space ship it huverd over me and
It was making a noise and lights on it
were spinning clock wise and counter clock wise then an alein like star wars
came decending down out of the space ship it didn't hurt me just looked at me
then went back up into the space ship
my mother came out and told me to come to her quickly but I couldn't
I was immobilelized staying still
and then I was freaking then I ran to
my mother and we went into the house
and went into the living room and we looked out the window and by then
the space ship was huvering over our house and then went up into the sky
and was flying high up then like the
speed of light it flew through the atmisfer the sky and later we discovered that the UFO drained all
the electrical power from everyone's
house's and blew out our fuse boxes
It was even written up in the newspaper
I'll never forget this big life experience.
there is life out there trust me I've seen it.lol.im for real sir.lol.

Yes why would we be the only ones in
this universe,of course there's other life
on other planets, I don't know where
but I know for a fact there is, when I was a kid I had a UFO in counter, of course when I tell anyone they don't wanna believe me
but I did, I was about 7 or 8 years old
I was out in my yard and a strong wind was blowing and sky got a little bit dark
then I looked up into the sky and seen this
extremely large disc like shape huge
space ship it huverd over me and
It was making a noise and lights on it
were spinning clock wise and counter clock wise then an alein like star wars
came decending down out of the space ship it didn't hurt me just looked at me
then went back up into the space ship
my mother came out and told me to come to her quickly but I couldn't
I was immobilelized staying still
and then I was freaking then I ran to
my mother and we went into the house
and went into the living room and we looked out the window and by then
the space ship was huvering over our house and then went up into the sky
and was flying high up then like the
speed of light it flew through the atmisfer the sky and later we discovered that the UFO drained all
the electrical power from everyone's
house's and blew out our fuse boxes
It was even written up in the newspaper
I'll never forget this big life experience.
there is life out there trust me I've seen it.lol.im for real sir.lol.

I believe so. Now will we ever make contact, that's the real question. The universe is too vast for us to be the only "intelligent" life out there.

I hope so!

I don't know. With that said, the Drake equation makes sense.

Gohan Level 7 Apr 3, 2018

In Drake we trust.

I dislike the argument that there is an infinite amount of planets in an infinite amount of space therefore there is life out there somewhere. I find belief in something without actual evidence to be illogical.

There may be aliens out there, but until there is actual evidence I'd say life on Earth is all there is.

MrHIT Level 5 Apr 3, 2018

Until there is evidence, it is speculation

Given that we exist, and the vastness of the universe--the observable universe is estimated to contain 200 billion to 2 trillion galaxies--it's sheer hubris and folly to think we're somehow the only "intelligent" life.

Maybe, depends on how likely it was that we evolved. Seti has done a number of very interesting studies over the past few decades, and boy, they've come up with nada. My suspicion is that life like ours is an evolutionary dead end. That we will either kill ourselves soon with war or climate disaster, and if not, sooner or later some nutcase will build a doomsday weapon.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:49289
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.