Agnostic.com

9 1

Under the protection of "free speech", does that give the right to threaten a minority group?

PondartIncbendog 8 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Never

bobwjr Level 10 May 13, 2020

Apparently these days it's not a matter of what's legal. It's become matter of what's tolerated... and currently, our legal system is tolerating a lot of formerly illegal practices if you're white, but not if you're a person of color.

That is the answer I was looking for.

Threats are not protected speech!

No

Free speech doesn't afford the right to threaten anyone.... It's interesting though that you use minorities as an example instead of all people... Why single out minorities?

I’ve my opinion, but what appears more important are the opinions of our ‘supreme court,’ for which I could likely predict the vote count and sources.. Remember discovering in a college law class that ‘there’s no such thing as a law,’ ‘only it’s final interpretation’ ... one of those revelations you don’t forget 😕

Varn Level 8 May 11, 2020

No, it does not. Contrary to the popular belief that it allows one to say any damn thing they like, there are limitations to the freedom of speech. If one is using their freedom to justify oppression, incitement of violence, threats or harm to any person or group, they're using it wrong.

Such a threat constitutes assault
[criminaldefenselawyer.com]

lerlo Level 8 May 11, 2020

Criticize certainly, but threaten would be quite different. The old saying. " Your freedom stops at the end of my nose." Still works even when the impact is psychological, no one not engaged in a crime, should have pain or distress inflicted on them, including fear.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:494730
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.