Agnostic.com

3 5

So this was a French Clergyman's idea? Interesting.. [curious.com] Again, sorry in advance if you can't load it where you live. I'll compy/paste the text.

The knives are out
Cardinal Richelieu

If you enjoy eating like a pig, you probably wouldn't have gotten along with French clergyman and statesman, Cardinal Richelieu. Among more illustrious accomplishments, Richelieu invented the rounded table knife on today's date in 1637. As a brief history synopsis, Richelieu was a brilliant statesman who stifled the power of European nobles, turned France into a great power, and instigated the brutal Thirty Years' War. The bane of his existence? Poor manners. And poor manners were abundant in Europe during Richelieu's time. Though forks had existed in places like China for millennia, Europeans remained fond of the trusty old hunting knife. People would stab, chop, and pick their teeth with the same dagger they used to clean game (or even clean their nails). One day, Richelieu grew so tired of watching his guests dig in their mouths with these grisly knives that he said enough was enough. He had his servant grind down the tips of his personal dinner knives, which he mandated for use in his company. Hence the round-edged table knife was born. The development resulted in a shock wave of improved dining etiquette. King Louis XIV, who was understandably wary of being around sharp hunting knives, followed Richelieu's lead. Before long, all Western European monarchs and colonists dined with table knives. Manners experienced a Renaissance and became increasingly convoluted. As for the modest, blue-collar hunting knife? It was excommunicated from feasts. Personally, I find the all-purpose hunting knife a bit revolting. That being said, I do secretly yearn for the days when I could proudly slobber all over a turkey leg in public.
More about this Curio:
Wired: "May 13, 1637: Cardinal Richelieu Makes His Point"
The Independent: "Rhodri Marsen's Interesting Objects: The Table Knife"
Popular Mechanics: "The Secret History of Steak Knives"
History: "Of Knives and Forks"

Captain_Feelgood 8 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting stuff 🙂

"Give me six lines written by the most honest of men and it it I will find something to convict him" -- Cardinal Richelieu

Reminds me of a story I was told in China. It seems that, centuries ago, everyone ate with forks. Then, wealthy people began hiring their own chefs, who cut things into nice little bite-sized bits. People went back to chopsticks because it was ostentatious...they didn't NEED knives & forks because they had CHEFS.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:495535
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.