Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Coronavirus: False claims viewed by millions on YouTube - BBC News

"High-quality production values and interviews with supposed experts can make these videos very convincing. Often facts will be presented out of context and used to draw false conclusions."

We have 'fiction' and 'non-fiction' designation for books, so that up front we have some idea of the factually of the information we're consuming. Shouldn't we expect the same designation for all written information? I want a 'fact' or 'fiction' flag on ALL internet content.

Amzungu 8 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The fiction you are about to see is entirely based on fact.
The pertinent fact is that people are so gullible they will believe fiction to be true and, given the right arguments, will believe fact to be fiction.
...... and therein lies the Achilles heel of any social media posting.

People suck.

@Amzungu That's why there are so many suckers!

@Petter I left the door open for that one, eh?

@Amzungu I'd leave my door open for you also.

. . . good luck with that -- and do you also dream about "peace on earth" 😛

fiction/non is historically designated by book publishers, on the internet ANYONE can 'publish' 😮

ymmv

@Fred_Snerd I came back here because I wasn't going to let that one lie, either. Absofuckinglutely, I dream of peace on Earth. You can take the girl out of the dream, but you can't take the dream out of the girl. 😉

@FearlessFly therein lies the problem. The fact that the internet has become nearly everyone's sole source of information, I strongly feel there should be much more consistent and regulated fact checking, and BS should be tagged as creative entertainment, not allowed to pass for fact based when it is not. It's obviously become a pretty pervasive problem in our society. We can do better, and I think we should.

@Amzungu . . . way too many for sure, but "nearly everyone" is a bit hyperbole.

. . . also

snopes.com
factcheck.org
mediabiasfactcheck.com
NewsGuard (subscription, browser extension)

@FearlessFly I agree with personal responsibility in regards to fact checking, but if sites like snopes were enough, we wouldn't have the problem we have. I feel as if those who are willfully spreading misinformation as truth are preying on those who are vulnerable to the manipulation. It pisses me off, and is a big part of the problems we are currently dealing with. Not everyone has stellar critical thinking skills, but many of those people spend a significant amount of time online. I think, as a society that has embraced the technology and allowed ANYONE to publish information, we should bear some responsibility for helping those people delineate between facts and opinions boxed as facts. Like I said, I think we can do better.

@Amzungu Technology has enabled widespread publishing.

"Allowed" is kinda the definition of totalitarian regime(s).

Who would you have making the "regulated fact checking" ?

Freedom isn't "free". 😮

@FearlessFly You're absolutely right. Freedom isn't free; it comes with a healthy burden of responsibility. We conveniently like to forget about that part.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:495969
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.