Agnostic.com

4 0

Do you think 'online voting' is a bad idea ? Why/not ?

Why A Voting App Wonโ€™t Solve Our Problems This November

[fivethirtyeight.com]

[verifiedvoting.org]

[ncsl.org]

FearlessFly 9 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they can mail out about a bajillion SS & SSI checks every month, plus the "W-2" & "raise" notifications to all the recipients every year, why would there be a problem?

. . . that would be 'vote-by-mail' ('some' issues), digital "voting" has 'problems' ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

@FearlessFly I think vote by mail (those IRS centers ain't busy in November!) would be just fine. I know A Lot of Seniors who would get disenfranchised if they had to have an internet connection.

@AnneWimsey I can't speak for 'everywhere' but around here, all libraries offer internet. ๐Ÿ™‚

@FearlessFly no libraries around here are currently open.
Plus, it would make some feel "stupid" so they wouldn't do it...after all the Senior Center constantly offers free classes, have for decades, they could have taken one. Around here they are free, mostly.
A nice envelope with postage-paid addressed return at each home, one per person...and it would bolster the Post Office as well

@AnneWimsey I"m not against vote-by-mail, but some will/do argue that presents "opportunities" for 'intervention' (PO employee(s) ) and 'fraud' .

@FearlessFly around here, all libraries are Closed, when will they reopen?
And people have a major aversion to feeling "stupid"...Senior Centers have been offering free "learn to use the internet" for decades... some do not want to learn some have no "extra" money for a device, etc etc....so much simpler to get a nice "postage-paid return" envelope, one per person, and send it back. Also keeps your choices private, which a librarian looking over your shoulder will not. And, help the Post Office!

@AnneWimsey I know of NO computer scientist (including me) who thinks online voting is a good idea. And I am not opposed to mail-in voting, but :

[politico.com]

[heritage.org]

[usatoday.com]

[minnpost.com]

@FearlessFly I agree, online has A Lot of problems. But, I did my Census form by mail, there was an option to do it online. My alimony check comes in the mail weekly (control freak from Hell, obviously, the divorce was in 2009) my retirement, SS, tax rebate, & etc get to the bank electronically, and I do not believe there is ever, or Very seldom, any problem with all of this. And, the IRS Processing Centers are all set up to process both mail & electronics already. Even the States (most of them) process taxes similarly. The mechanisms are there & we already have an SS # designating us, just do it!

@AnneWimsey The HUGE difference between the examples you give (and a lot of folks haven't caught-on) is that voting NEEDS anonymity (the others don't have it). ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

[eff.org]

@FearlessFly see my reply above this one......

Too vulnerable to hacking.

It is a great idea if they get their act of tightening the online security right.

. . . have you read the articles ? not happening ๐Ÿ˜›

No. No matter how the voting takes place trump is going to say there was fraud when he loses

lerlo Level 8 May 15, 2020

Providing conclusive evidence for that (inevitable) claim will be HIS problem. ๐Ÿ˜›

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:496161
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.