Agnostic.com

6 4

Is anyone else familiar with Caitlin Doughty and her Youtube channel, "Ask a Mortician"? She brings death out into the open and is not fond of the traditional Christian aspects of the afterlife and burial practices, i.e. preserving the body.

Gwendolyn2018 9 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Informative and fun. When I had to go to California and deal with my dad 24 years ago it was a pain, but at least in that state, they aren't allowed to "sell" you on services. State law requires they just give you a sheet with all the prices and let you figure what you want from there. They aren't even permitted to show caskets ( to prevent salesmen from guilting family into overspending....and the old guy at the place I was dealing with was unabashed at boasting how he had once been quite good at that 🙂
My kids have instruction to donate my carcass to medical research ( I have a rather nasty type of arthritis that gets little attention by the medical community, so hopefully someone will learn something) . When they are done , they return the remains in one form or another , so from there it's off to help generate some new soil somewhere.

I actually really enjoyed this. She explains a lot in her videos. A little annoying with all the Control nonsense but her other videos were good.

She gives me the creeps.

I hadn't seen that.

My step-grandfather ran a mortuary in rural Nebraska.
It might just be my impression, but it seemed to me that there was a lot more freedom than a lot of people realize.

One guy I heard of specified in his will that he not be buried until a couple years after he died. I saw a picture of a backroom of the business during that period and there he was standing in a corner. Whatever, I guess.

People who deal with it get kind of inured. My grandfather kept his aquarium fish when they died and embalmed them and glued them into pictures for display. Eww.

@Gwendolyn2018 .
By then he had retired to Ft. Lauderdale. He would walk on beaches and pick up pieces of shell and coral to make what he thought were clever backgrounds for his pictures. Ha, ha. I guess.

One time we were visiting from AZ and we caught a crab. He embalmed it so we could take it home but it didn't make it, surprisingly enough.☺

I think it would be ok to just have a fisherman with a boat take me out about 10 mikes and drop me into the ocean. Tie something heavy on me so I do not come back up and float somewhere I scare someone if found and have the process start over. Feed the fish and crabs, I ate them so they can eat me.

That sounds about right

I would rather be in the water. With the fish 🙂

I have always found embalming to be really odd. I would prefer a natural burial. No chemicals just let me decompose and go into the ground. Will watch this soon.

@Gwendolyn2018 If I have my way I will just be placed in a field, ocean, somewhere where I will not be found and allow for the working of Nature to just get back to Whatever. It will make no difference to me.

@Gwendolyn2018 Could this happen for free. If so leaves more money for the party.

@Gwendolyn2018 Of course. all the money that is in my bank accounts is to be spent enjoying yourself at a party. You are invited, of course as is everyone else. The more the marrier, I hope everyone tells great stories and I hope there is enough to have a contest for the best story. It will not have to be true just good and funny. My boss wants the gravestone to say, "Wait, Wait." Oh, and one does not have to drink at the party, but they can if they want.

@Gwendolyn2018 Colby Lennon will be having access to all the details and money. I will give him your contact info.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:497837
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.