Agnostic.com

10 11

A manufacturer dazzled me today. Extremely rare.

Without snow baskets, my new Black Diamond trekking poles are useless spears in snow. I need snow baskets for stability while hiking in steep, snowy conditions.

Twice I ordered Black Diamond snow baskets from REI. Each time, the clerk assured me they would fit the trekking poles that I bought from REI.

Twice REI shipped me snow baskets that didn't fit. Holes in the center of the snow baskets were too small. Darn it, I had to pay for return shipping twice.

With little hope, I called Black Diamond today.

"I'm going to research this and mail you the right-sized snow baskets for free," the Black Diamond rep said. "You will get them in about two weeks."

"I'm thrilled!" I replied. "Thank you, Amy! You have been wonderful. You made my day."

What has been your experience when you sought help from a manufacturer?

LiterateHiker 9 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

great to get helpful service

I've had a number of companies leave me holding the bag on defective or missing speced merchandise , some do quite well, and one that I will remember forever. A number of years ago on a trip to Atlantic Canada. I b bought a pair of Hot Paws snowmobile gloves. Serious warm , dry gloves.( I had worked in the arctic at one point, I know good gloves, ) but a year later back at home , my ex managed to take them to work and lost one. I spent a couple of years off and on trying to find somewhere online to buy a new set to no avail. Could only find kids gloves. Finally , I located the company told them what happened an asked if they still made those and where I could purchase another pair in or shipped to the US. Not only did they still make that type, but they sent ma a new pair and wouldnt let me pay for them I really hope they got some advertising mileage out of the original letter I sent. Those people went above and beyond.

Yep, I bought a box ( contents in the range of 400+ btw) of hex-head self-tapping screws for going into steel a few years ago now.
When they arrived I opened them only to find, as per my very detailed order requirements,
A) they were for use in timber, not Steel, so totally useless for the job at hand,
B) they were NOT self-tapping,
C) they were not Galvanized, and,
D) the gauge of the screw shanks was at least the size of bolts used to build bridges, etc.
After a quick e-mail to the Supplier requesting either an exchange or a refund I got a response of, " No problems, Sir, keep the screws , don't send them back, I'll send you the correct replacements free of charge by rapid Courier services, my apologies."
3 days later, not ONE but 2 boxes arrived at my door, the exact self-tapping screws I wanted and a note inside to say that my money had been refunded to my Account as well.

Now that's what I was taught in my Applied Quality Management degree program.

I have learned to refrain from celebration until the item arrives functioning as promised.

@NoMagicCookie

Very wise. Thanks for the insight.

Will have to slow down my glee. Whoa, girl.

@LiterateHiker You're good.

I bought a used telescope in the early 90s. I had very little money and couldn't afford even a cheap one new. When I got home and put it together, there were missing pieces. This was before I had internet. I found a tag with the manufacturers phone number on it and called to check price and availability of the missing parts. The man on the other end was very helpful and forgiving of the fact that I didn't know the proper names of the parts needed.
He told me the parts were in stock, and asked for my address. Since I wasn't sure I could afford them, I asked how much it would cost. He said "don't worry about it, I'll just send them to you". And he did. I had been through a heartbreaking divorce, and was trying to get back on my feet. It just blew me away. I'd never heard of a company doing that. Unfortunately it's been almost 30 years and I don't remember the name of the company, but they were in Florida.

Years ago I bought a box of Kelloggs Corn flakes. They seemed stale. I sent Kellogg a letter. They sent me a big box full of an assortment of their cereals.

I usually find that the level of customer service is directly proportional to the volume of the product I am buying from a given manufacturer. Sometimes that is the case and sometimes not, but I am occasionally impressed by a manufacturer that makes good on a product, over and above what you would expect. Surprisingly, Amazon.ca has been very good to me, although it may just be the deal they have with the manufacturer of the actual product I bought.

Due to your prior experiences, reflecting those of my own.. I recently chucked an expensive electronic door lock-set that was only days away from being out of warranty. F-it ..I figured. I had called, but of course ‘no one was in the office’ (viral prime-time)..

There are some goodies I’d love to have for my motorcycle.. but expect the same kind of misfit difficulties. So, their loss. I’ll just continue to make due ~

Varn Level 8 May 20, 2020

You can make a lot by just making do, especially if you have some imagination and some elbow grease. I built this enclosure for my garden to keep the deer away from the more delicious plants, they leave the garlic and onions, etc alone. It will double as a greenhouse come the fall when I put greenhouse poly over the whole thing. I built it out of leftover rebar and wire mesh from our house build.

10' W x 30' L x 7' H

@Surfpirate That looks great! I’m planning on picking up some concrete reinforcement wire (when flood water subside) to make some tomato cages, eight. I hope your frame and plastic can stand up to any serious wind during winter…

It has varied. I’ve had results as good as yours sometimes, and stupidity sometimes too

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:497878
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.