Agnostic.com

12 10

I love this rare clip from Christopher Hitchens. It's amusing, raw and honest.

dani2382 5 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One of mankind's greatest orators. we are at a loss for him not being here and now.

I would do it. Thats one less thing to set the world on fire over.

I think Christopher recognizes and respects the eternally unwavering Contrarian, being one himself.

[amazon.com]

I think that I can relate to Mr. Hitchens frustration. This is an interesting thought, so I want to reply. But it is taking me a while to figure out how. I do not think that I would do it either. But it is difficult to express why. Religion may be on it's way out. But I am sure that it is centuries away from being so. The frustration may lie in the absence of an explanation for the religious disappearance. Religion is truly important to millions. If it is just like, poof it's gone, we may be disregarding the strong feelings of billions. One just has to sense that there is something wrong with, poof it's gone.

MrDMC Level 7 May 24, 2020

Hitchens was an amazing orator/debater, and had an extraordinarily brilliant mind.

That said, he was as flawed a human being as any of the rest of us, and didn't know everything.
I'm grateful that he existed.

Of course, even atheists need someone to mock and make fun of.

There is a little bit of agnosticism in everyone. The angels test every baby as it is born.

Hitch was always interesting to me. I agree with much of what he has said.

I would not drive religion out of this world, because it would result in me being exceedingly bored: I would have nothing left with which to demean the cretins who rejoice in attacking me for merely being what I am.

Um, a curious statement indeed. Personally, I would not want that level of responsibility. Religious belief has caused massive destruction of many cultural beliefs and ways. On the other hand religious affiliation has provided much support via counseling, caring for the hungry, sick and homeless. Catholic schools provided a good education, if one could afford it.
The real issue is not religion so much as the twisted control many religious fanatics use against believers - priests that abuse, women's place in the world - the misogyny directed at 50% of the followers.

I've always loved Hitchens. If there was one of them I would want to sit and talk with most, it would be him. He had a certain charisma about him that even his opponents couldn't deny. His closing speech during his last debate is one of my favorites of all time.

How fascinating that two brilliant men (Hitchens and Dawkins) have such similar views on religion and yet are on the opposite sides of this argument. I would have never guessed this was Hitchens' view, but somehow I'm not surprised 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:498949
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.