Agnostic.com

2 6

LINK The pandemic is causing an exponential rise in the online exploitation of children. Here's the team tasked with trying to stop it. - CNN

The pandemic is causing an exponential rise in the online exploitation of children, experts say

HippieChick58 9 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's so tragic. And not just online: child abusers are frequently within a child's immediate family, and social isolation can keep them trapped with their abuser 24/7. Within the first week of lockdown, two kids were killed in Fort Worth by their stuck-at-home abusers. Our local advocacy centers immediately saw a spike in reports and were asking for increased donations. Just another major impact of the way we've handled COVID-19.

If the parents are home, how/why would it be easier than when they commuted?

Parent are off doing their day job, kids are home and online in their rooms. When my kids were young we had one computer for them to use, and it was in a fairly public area of the house. We had their passwords, and we check browsing history. If anything was deleted or passwords changed they were off the computer until they could convince us to trust them again.

I worked from home and converted the dining room (which was next to my office) into the game room, so the TV, computer, and Internet connection was there. Kids forget you're just a door away from what they're saying, so I kept up with a lot. Same thing with carpooling - the things I learned! 🙂 Once wireless came about, I changed the password regularly. But I think being involved with your kids is also another important aspect of keeping them safe online.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:499397
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.