Agnostic.com

13 10

To me. the words indifference, and absolutism, are imho the worst words, or thoughts there are.
It is a mix of both that are giving me pause to not visit places like Facebook and the ilk.

I used to praise the fact that I hold dear friendships with both lefties, as well as right. Believers, as well as non. To me the ideal was that no matter the "angle" so to speak, we valued each other as people far more that our religious, or political stance.

But that has seemed to take a turn south as of late.
When giving my thoughts or opinions on any given topic, I am met with one side calling me a Nazi, and the other, call me a Snowflake. Neither giving pause to ponder the alternative I, or others may pose.

I just don't want to be involved in that world any more.
I am done with trying to, as I normally do, try to find a "common ground", when no one, or at least those I know, can't even entertain that thought.

Ima start culling my FB list.

Sorry for the rant. Just needed to get that off of my chest.

TristanNuvo 8 May 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I understand, believe me. The two extremes get to be too much after awhile, and begs the question why can't we all get along? Everyone has their difference in opinions, but I've found that mostly everyone likes the sound of their own voice.

I use Facebook only as a political activist and also use the same name there as here. Some of my family and friends are there and I have posted pictures. I do have foreign friends also, but most of my postings are to the various memes listed from other sites. I also borrow and post memes on my page describing the current political regime and the fact that our current infodemic is all "deepfake."

As for the FB site being all about family and friends, etc. it is not. It is an information gathering agency that sees and sells your info and trends for profit.

Stick with the snowflakes.

Totally get it. I wonder if there will ever be any relief from all this shallow polarization?

I love those that believe that we should ALWAYS comprimise and go to great lengths to tell me how wrong I am about taking a stnd on certain issues. When they tell me "You just need to meet in the middle", I tell them this.

So a man comes to your house and says I want to rape your wife and daughter. One does not say "Well we need to comprimise, just rape___ instead of both." No. There are times where comprimise is NOT AN OPTION. Absolutism is generally errionious. That is an absolute!

It’s not what others say or do, but how you react to it.

Facebook is the perfect environment to provide confirmation bias. It's a VERY poor environment for an actual conversation.

I have remained friends with many...but I have unfollowed a LOT of people so I don't have to hear their religious like support of Trump, Bernie, pseudo-science, etc.

I think many groups are becoming insufferable, and falling prey to the "No True Scotsman" fallacy far too often. If you're nuanced, or thoughtful, in your opinion, they have no time for you; nor do they care to listen.

I believe that life is about balance...homeostasis...yin and yang. I find that I am often very alone in that opinion, especially on the book of faces. A majority of life is lived in the gray; NOT the black or white.

I pretty much culled fb completely about 2 years ago. There were too many people that had no sense of fair play or rules of debate or being able to disagree without being disagreeable. Best decision I've made in a long time.

When Trump first touted hydroxychloroquine, I was loudly advocating for research before adding it to treatment protocols, and was told by someone on FB that it was shameful of me, as a nurse, to not want people to get something that might save their life. My feed has very few humans left, but I can't make the complete break, many of my international friends use it as their only platform. People have become increasingly ridiculuous, and, like you said, so stuck on absolutes that there is no discussion, just agreement or pointing out all the reasons you are a horrible human being for having a different thought. It breeds indifference. I don't want to be involved in that world any more, either, wherever it is found.

The last thing in my fiber is to "give up" so to speak on people. But I really do understand what you mean. It seems to take a toll more than running a marathon.

@TristanNuvo I know exactly what you mean, and yes, the toll it takes is great. I fear apathy more than most things, and I had been struggling a great deal recently- between the constant political arguments and rampant medical misinformation and irrational conversations surrounding both driving me out of most conversations or driving up my blood pressure, I was ready to check out completely. Instead, I made a choice. I have stopped engaging with people who insist on absolutes, seeing the world as simple black and white, when the vast majority of life exists within the many shades of grey. If I do not feel I can have any impact on a conversation,or that at the very least the discourse will be mindful, I think my energy is better spent elsewhere. I want to be an active part of the solution, but I am not obligated to engage every angry irrational soul that passes through my social media moments. It's actually what brought me back here. There are still a few corners I can sneak off to and find rational, respectful discourse between people who share differing views. It's been much more peaceful in my head since. 😉

Gotta do what ya gotta do.

I just said the other day, not everyone who comes into our lives is meant to stay
in them.
I've become really good at cutting people loose.
I've also found that most of them have been allowed (by me) to linger far longer
than they ever should have.

You aren't alone. The crescendo of hysteria has been increasing rapidly, and will doubtless continue to do so throughout the year. I can't even imagine how this will end up.

I think it's difficult to be a mediator anymore so, because it doesn't seem to be having an impact, and for my own mental health, I've found myself culling not just social media accounts, but friends and family as well. I'll decide how to proceed after I've had a chance to recharge and stay healthy.

Politically, one party had become desperate, their numbers were decreasing drastically as their fundamentalist radicals booted out longtime moderates. Since, they’ve worked hand in hand with media entities promoting a divide & conquer strategy that’s out of control..

From fairly open media conglomerates ...to paid infiltrators on social media sites, most now feel forced into ‘defending’ something. I have felt in the middle of it for decades.. There’s a demand for political purity that’s unrealistic, and lacking the sophistication to realize from where that came/ comes ..too many fall into the trap.

I’ve begun to admire most friends who stay quiet! Fully aware of what’s happening, they rarely jump into the fray. Maybe you’ve evolved to that level? I haven’t … at least around here.. On facebook, I stay as mute as personally possible ..so ‘thank someone’s god’ for here 🙂

Varn Level 8 May 25, 2020

Its the climate in the world today. Everyone has a with us or against us mentality. Society has degenerated to playground thinking

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:499508
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.