Agnostic.com

9 16

LINK Aries Spears Admits Struggle With Religion After Witnessing Police Brutality & Racism - YouTube

I used to watch Aries Spears when he was on MADTV he makes some good points about the Black Communities attachment to Christianity and Civil Rights and he questions it.

Blackatheist1985 7 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Another religious black man who has something to say about racism . . .

Being rewarded in the afterlife is one tactic the wealthy have used to control the poor since the invention of private property. In the West Christianity was used to console and control the serfs and peasants since Medieval times, indigenous people and slaves were simply added to the list.

That racism is having such a resurgence is disgusting and disheartening. Divide and conquer works and as long as it does the wealthy will continue to use it. The majority never seems to figure out that they are being manipulated. The needless misery it creates is appalling.

I've always wondered how people can be so devoutly religious to a book that instructs slavery(among other things) and was forced onto them by enslavers. Especially when you get older and become aware of other books like this one. I feel this book should definitely throw anyone's forced christian beliefs into doubt.

On the flip-side, another thing that amazes me is the complete white-washing of the religion. AND the complete acceptance of this by a lot of white people with all the portraits of white jesus hanging in their house. And then the paintings depicting god as this white man with white robes and a white beard. It's just so ridiculous and it seems sooo obvious to me that I don't see how other people don't see it. I do live in the south though.

I'll be in conversation with someone on the topic and talk about it being a middle-eastern belief and if jesus was even an actual person he most certainly wasnt white and their head snaps back with that look and they'll say something like, "no it's not and yes he is!" I'll just be like, "really? Where did everything in this book take place?" The amount of mental gymnastics that follows is always interesting.

But overall, I am glad that people like Aries is publicly stating his views like this. It makes me hopeful that people will listen and question their own beliefs.

Valid questions!

I've never been able to understand why black people believe ( white people too, but at least we have a bounty of $'s, power and freedom).

twill Level 7 May 27, 2020

@Blackatheist1985 It seems like accepting religion to either lift you out of this, rescue you, or bless you when you're dead with an eternal trip to heaven, plays into the hands of the oppressor, as in: Wait Them Out, time is on our side. And it is.

Note: in my previous comment I should have stated Christianity instead of religion. At the end of the day, Christianity is a white man's power trip.

Cassius Clay I think was born into a christian family. Mohammed Ali, muslim, freaked out a lot of people.
When I was a kid, late 60's/ early 70's (teen/ pre-teen) I used to listen Howard Cosell radio show every Saturday about 5 pm. Him & Mohammed Ali were quite a pair in the 70's , (this was after his prison time, of course) and Howard was, from my perspective a righteous man at the time.

Mohammed Ali stirred up some shit with white American Establishment. He walked the walk.

@Blackatheist1985 I hear ya. I've noticed that in the little hollowed out rural towns of America, more storefront churches are popping up on dilapidated Main Streets.

It surely must give people hope and a sense of power to belong. However, it does not educate or provide economic opportunities. And the hope is a false one. Time runs out, ya die young, poor and over or underworked
There's a reason corporate America is entrenched with the churches. Strange bedfellows perhaps, but when fighting a war , you ally up with "whatever it takes". And they are fighting a war.

@Blackatheist1985 Ya know, with Jesus being black, or at least dark skinned and middle eastern, this racism would be like the first fucking thing "god" would set right

@Blackatheist1985: [nytimes.com]

Interesting read. In the movie "Rosewood" same thing happened.

I saw the picture of the policeman kneeling on the black man's neck and started crying. What exploded into my mind was the picture of an SS man with his boot on the neck of a Jewish man that I saw in German newspaper as a child. I cried then, and I am crying now. But this time, it is out of shame and rage and fueled by a burning in my guts to do something about this. I am not a little girl anymore. I will make a noise and it won't be sobbing!

As I white man, I look back to the 60's and early 70's when in my youth it seemed to me that things couldn't get worse, in terms of racial justice. And here we are in 2020 and we haven't progressed, have we?

Some of us thought that electing a black president made a difference, but as a country we remain in need of a deep and profound cleanse. I am incensed by this latest incident and am mortified that a white cop could actually murder a black man on camera and in front of witnesses. From the mayors on down to every front-line police officer in every city in the country, this behavior can never be allowed. And what's more, this cop and his fellow onlooking officers should all be tried for murder. Only through convictions will police behavior change.

Good for him. Let's hope he keeps moving toward what makes sense.

Why are the anti lockdown pandemic demonstrators with assault weapons and tactical gear treated like hero’s while invading the state capital building in Michigan, they are acting like Domestic Terrorists!!!

While the Black Demonstrators are treated like an illegal riot mob when they are marching peacefully until attacked by the white police force in Minnesota???

The photographs below show how white people think they are above the law!!!

They are nothing but criminal Domestic Terrorists!!!

[alternet.org]

We live in a country divided by more than politics. There’s white middle-class/rich America, and then there’s America for everyone else. It. Has. Got. To. Stop!

Yet another unconscionable "execution" of a black man by a "jack booted thug" while several others stand by calmly watching. Thousands of protesters in the streets and the pigs are fired! That is documented manslaughter, if not murder. Where is the statement of outrage from the "POTUS"? He's probably playing golf. What would you expect by a president who hires the very people he tries to keep out of the country to work in his golf courses?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:500152
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.