Agnostic.com

1 1

LINK Climber Alex Honnold on Filming “Free Solo,” Facing Death and Rejecting Religion

Read a great article about climber Alex Honnold in which he says, about religion, "I think it’s all just medieval superstition. Religion relies on some desire for a spiritual connection and I do get that from just being out in Yosemite. I get that feeling of grandeur and awe in the world sitting on a cliff at sunset, watching the mountains glow pink, that a lot of people get through religious faith....I think some people turn to faith as a crutch, to avoid thinking about mortality — you know, “Well, I’ll carry on forever in some eternal kingdom.” But the harder thing is to stare into the abyss and understand that when it’s over, it’s over."

ReadyforaChange 7 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

...which means he's even more courageous than a theist, who can convince himself he's "falling into god's arms."

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:500250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.