Agnostic.com

10 3

I never really understood why liberals think voter ID somehow works against minorities for this very reason. Nice job, Ami.

Captain_Feelgood 8 June 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

After reading all the comments, I honestly don't know if voter fraud/su poll suppression even exists.

An interesting video. One problem I see is the sampling population. NYC is pretty cosmopolitan so most people, regardless of color in NYC maybe a little more sophisticsted than say someone in...Asheboro. NC. Most voter suppression occurs in rural, rather than urban communities. Below are excerpts from a couple of article put out the aclu.

Voter ID Laws
Thirty-six states have identification requirements at the polls. Seven states have strict photo ID laws, under which voters must present one of a limited set of forms of government-issued photo ID in order to cast a regular ballot – no exceptions. These strict ID laws are part of an ongoing strategy to suppress the vote, and it works. Voter ID laws have been estimated by the U.S. Government Accountability Office to reduce voter turnout by 2-3 percentage points, translating to tens of thousands of votes lost in a single state.

Over 21 million U.S. citizens do not have government-issued photo identification. That’s because ID cards aren’t always accessible for everyone. The ID itself can be costly, and even when IDs are free, applicants must incur other expenses to obtain the underlying documents that are needed to get an ID. This can be a significant burden on people in lower-income communities. Further, the travel required is an obstacle for people with disabilities, the elderly, and people living in rural areas.

[aclu.org]

Voter ID laws deprive many voters of their right to vote, reduce participation, and stand in direct opposition to our country’s trend of including more Americans in the democratic process. Many Americans do not have one of the forms of identification states acceptable for voting. These voters are disproportionately low-income, racial and ethnic minorities, the elderly, and people with disabilities. Such voters more frequently have difficulty obtaining ID, because they cannot afford or cannot obtain the underlying documents that are a prerequisite to obtaining government-issued photo ID card.

Voter ID Laws Deprive Many Americans of the Right to Vote
Millions of Americans Lack ID. 11% of U.S. citizens – or more than 21 million Americans – do not have government-issued photo identification.1
Obtaining ID Costs Money. Even if ID is offered for free, voters must incur numerous costs (such as paying for birth certificates) to apply for a government-issued ID.
Underlying documents required to obtain ID cost money, a significant expense for lower-income Americans. The combined cost of document fees, travel expenses and waiting time are estimated to range from $75 to $175.2
The travel required is often a major burden on people with disabilities, the elderly, or those in rural areas without access to a car or public transportation. In Texas, some people in rural areas must travel approximately 170 miles to reach the nearest ID office.3
Voter ID Laws Reduce Voter Turnout. A 2014 GAO study found that strict photo ID laws reduce turnout by 2-3 percentage points,4 which can translate into tens of thousands of votes lost in a single state.

[aclu.org]

I live in a rural part of Alabama, and I can assure you that anyone in my area who wants to vote can easily do so. Obtaining an acceptable ID card is easy and costs nothing. It might be different other places, however, Alabama is often pointed to as the worst of the worst.

“Liberals” like to categorize certain groups as poor, suppressed, helpless, ignorant, etc. so that they can play the role of Great White Savior, dashing in to attack those whom the have adjudged to be the evil oppressors.

In this video that kind of liberalism is ably exposed for what it is: subtle racism, ignorance and egomania. The interviews could have been anywhere and the responses would have been the same.

@WilliamFleming

The ACLU, while considered politically liberal is well known for well designed, scientific studies. So if they found evidence that rural communities are adversely affected, then their is a good chance they are.

William, when is the last time you sat down and had an honest discussion with a black person in your area about the obstacles they encounter with doing the things you and I take for granted? Obviously you are a caring person and seek to be fair. But we take things for granted that just arent so. We are socialized to not see certain problems and to evaluate them based on our own experiences. Perhaps you are right and access jn your area is as easy as you say. Perhaps access isnt the problem and their are other societal/cultural reasons that suppress, or inhibit the black vote.

@t1nick So far as your last sentence, there is absolutely no suppression of the Black vote in Alabama. Blacks and Whites vote in about the same proportion.

[fox10tv.com]

I would not be so presumptuous as to sit down with anyone in order to discuss their sad, suppressed plight. Can’t you see that I would be putting myself in a superior position? I’d be slapped down in an instant. If anyone wants to talk to me about their problems I’ll listen, but until that time arrives I will maintain an attitude of respectful reserve.

In my interactions with Unity I was on friendly terms with a number of people of color, and I saw them all as intelligent, courageous, strong and optimistic. Not one exhibited an attitude of aggrieved victimhood. There was certainly a lot of interest in social improvement but it was exhibited with an upbeat attitude of “Let’s get this done”. The biggest issue is mass incarceration, and that is certainly something that needs changing.

There are a number of highly respected Blacks in my immediate neighborhood There are a few people, both Black and White who live somewhat on the fringe, but there’s nothing wrong with that IMO. I doubt if many of those are interested in voting, but there would be no hindrance if they wanted to vote.

@WilliamFleming

I have my doubts about your claim of no suppression in Alabama, but will let that lie. We covered as much ground as we can and be productive. We will just have to agree to disagree

I just found these two articles I thought you might be interested in:

As Alabama primary nears, voter suppression is alive and well.

[splcenter.org]

Seven Ways Alabama Has Made It Harder to Vote

[google.com]

In stead of doing a completely erroneous poll, how about studying ACTUAL DATA? Oh No, that would be too much like "Science".

You are required to show your ID for a lot of things so what in the hell is wrong with showing your ID to vote.

Read above post and quit basing everything in life strictly upon your own limited experiences.

Those "other things", are they CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS ? 😮 😛

@t1nick Here in Oklahoma a government issued photo ID is required and I have no problem with that. If you can’t afford an ID you don’t have any business voting. Also the poor tend to vote overwhelmingly for the democrats because they are looking for a government handout and that’s a piss poor reason for voting.

@Trajan61

Again, get out of your myopic little bubble and experience more of the real world. Your perceptions are worthless because they are based on stereotypes that and your local yahoos make up to validate your little existence.

@Trajan61 you don't need a photo id in Oklahoma dumbass. Get to know your own state, or at least Google it.

We need ID to buy alcohol, at some stores ID is needed to buy cigarettes. So to not present ID could cause voter fraud. What's to stop someone to say they are Joe Blow, their real name is John Doe. So JD votes as JB. Joe Blow shows up later to vote only to find that he already voted. See where I'm going here

@OwlInASack perfectly reasoned!

@OwlInASack Pretty much everything you've said here is not true. Those who cannot afford regular or adequate shelter may use a park, vacant lot, or homeless shelter as “home base” for registration purposes... Basically, if the elector intends the given location to be their home base, they may give any physical location as an address. I'm personally not familiar with, or concerned about what the UK situation is. Obtaining ID is no harder than going to a doctor's appointment or buying something online. People not being able to get to the DMV or having access to the web is BS as shown in the video above. This guy obviously didn't go around looking for conservative black people. [dmv.org] The biggest problem with your response that voter fraud is much more than not having to show ID. Examples include impersonation fraud at the polls; false voter registrations; duplicate voting; fraudulent absentee ballots; vote buying; illegal assistance and intimidation of voters; ineligible voting, such as by aliens; altering of vote counts; and ballot petition fraud.

@OwlInASack When Alabama was sued over our voter ID law, persuasive evidence was presented to the federal judge proving that there really is voter fraud and that requiring an ID is an effective way to prevent that fraud.

It is common for people to claim that voter fraud does not exist, but I never see any backing for that claim.

@OwlInASack

Here’s a few in the last year. Some might be duplicates.

[al.com]

[heritage.org]

[apr.org]

[yellowhammernews.com]

[wvua23.com]

[apr.org]

@OwlInASack I don’t see how presenting an ID to vote is voter suppression. What about having to register? That’s some major suppression in comparison, requiring people to go to the courthouse and prove their citizenship and residency. Being given a free voter ID at the time of registration—how is that voter suppression? And in real life, only a minute minority of voters need the free ID because almost everyone already has an acceptable ID that they use almost daily.

I’m afraid you have been suckered in by political propagandizing.

@OwlInASack Well hell, maybe we’re both suckers. I propose to let it lie because we aren’t getting anywhere. No one perspective is complete and perfect.

Have a nice day. Well, I suppose your day is about over. Have a nice evening.

@WilliamFleming honestly I don't know if in fact that voter fraud or voter suppression is a real thing.

@RobertMartin Probably both are greatly exaggerated so that people can scream and yell.

About as brilliant as every other "poll on the street" I have ever seen

Great video if you like to hear racist bullshit spewing out of people’s mouths — liberals included. Reminds me of the Phil Ochs song, “Love me I’m a liberal”.

Wait, wait... I thought it was impossible for a minority to be racist... 🤣😂😄

@Captain_Feelgood Intersectionality between racism and classism, mixed with a healthy dose of privilege, give us the likes of Clarence Thomas. Ben Carson. Condoleeza Rice.

I thought it was because the republicans wanted the laws, simple spite. And no politician wants to be out-cheated.

bogus !

. . . not an scientific/accurate way to go-about gathering data

Bingo! Great video.

. . . anecdotes are not data 😛

@FearlessFly Someone needs to look up the word 'anecdote'.. 🙄😉😄

@Captain_Feelgood It can be a great video without being based on a scientific study. How many videos are based on such studies?

This video clear illustrates bias and racism expressed under the guise of liberalism. Those views are common and rampant, even on this very forum.

@WilliamFleming

See my post above. It was a terrible video. NYC is not representative of a large segment of the country. This poll is too limited in its scope and sampling strategy. And yes it should scientific with a random shaming across many communities and geographical areas. Most voter suppression occurs in rural communities, not urban metropolis'. See my post above.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:502520
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.