Agnostic.com

10 5

What are your reactions to this? ( Frankness is encouraged. )

[cnn.com]

Trudeau's long silence before speaking speaks volumes.
We need to hear world leaders speak out like this much oftener in the media.
We need to hear problem-solving discussion about the endemic failures of political systems to really do something substantial about racially-motivated injustices.
Or else, the human race overall is going to destroy itself via its own biases.

AnonySchmoose 8 June 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think we see plenty (in fact too much!) "Shoot from the hip" remarks from drump! I like how both Trudeau & Obama waited a bit before weighing in.

Yes both Trudeau and Obama are thoughtful.

He appeared to be censoring himself to get the right tone. He may have to deal with Trump again, although hopefully not after the election. He is a good leader for Canada. I would say they are lucky, but they had the sense to elect him and we got tRump.

I also had the feeling that he didn't wish to talk about the protests because the protests say everything that needs to be said already. We have an ineffective political system which is destroying citizens' lives continually, and has done so for 350 years. What more could Trudeau say? The moment of silence gives more weight to the Black Lives Matter issue than lip-service comments could ever give to it. I felt like Trudeau may understand that.

Recently spotted meme said Canada must feel like living in an apartment over a meth lab...

And America is the meth lab ....

I agree with everyone else. Trudeau spoke with an abundance of caution. A very prudent approach. Especially given we share a border.

I respect caution.

I think the single biggest factor for the pause is his fear of Trump, who’s famous for retaliation against his perceived enemies—an enemy according to Trump is anyone who criticizes him.

It was an excessively long pause.. I think he had to bite his tongue, Canadas history of subjugating Native Americans is as horrendous as ours and he's got the Disappearing and Murdering of N.A women on his hands. It's actually a cross border issue, samething's happening here.

Yes, I agree it was a rather awkward silence, almost like he did not intend to answer.

Pretty much what @Sticks48 said. I think CNN was trying to make it out to be something more.

Me too ... I agree.
I think CNN sentimentalized about Justin Trudeau's response.
I'd rather see some systemic actions taken to remedy the longterm, pervasive, 'racial' biases.
I just remember that racial categories are artificially contrived, and according to DNA do not actually exist.
To have a just social contract between various so-called racial entities, one must abolish the concept of there being racial groups. It's more realistic to call such groups ethnic. Plus, ethnicities can become globally merged with other ethnicities, so ethnicity would tend to mean historic, genealogical family heritage.

Well, he didn't mention Trump and he mostly spoke about the issues that Canada is dealing with.

I think the silence was him trying to think of how to answer the question without going out of bounds and off the script that he is allowed to talk from.

Could be like you say. He was silent for a real long time, which is usually not done on the record. It never hurts to reflect before speaking, but one doesn't often see a leader having nothing to say while on the air. I think he realizes that to publicly criticize Trump will cause Canada financial problems in the form of sanctions or additional trade fees imposed by the US.

A wise man thinketh before he blabbereth. Either JT is a wise man, or else, he's really an Ent in disguise

I agree with your first statement.
How are you using 'Ent' in this context?
Ear, nose, throat
or isn't
or entertainment
or a stoner?

@Bierbasstard
Thanks! That Ent is a fabulous, imaginative concoction.
I love the mythology about it. When you think of trees as a community with individual members which constantly communicate, share nutrients, and are interdependent, it's easier to see how they are like creatures.

@AnonySchmoose think Treebeard in L.O.T.R..

@Charlene
Yes, I remember the talking tree ... quite a voice.

Treebeard: "It takes a long, long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we Ents don't say anything, unless it takes a long time to say."

I think when you are as tied to the U S as is Canada and said U S is run by a complete fucking moron who can greatly fuck with your economy you must parse your words carefully. All of our allies are biting their tongues until the orange douche bag is gone. I have no problem with it at all. He has his own country to deal with. This is our problem to take care of.

I know he's 'royally' fucked up the economy.
My investments are not doing so well, and I feel the pinch. I hope we get on a fast track to an innovative green economy after he's gone, which will get us a lot of new jobs really fast. Kind of like after a war, when everyone is sick of spending everything on war, and simply hope to get down to the nitty gritty. America, get it on !

@AnonySchmoose Ain't that the truth. I read we spend 100 million dollars a day in the Middle East. What a phenomenal waste.

@Sticks48
And wasted on a nation which seems to be without a human moral compass.

@AnonySchmoose We always look at other nations and believe they should think like we do and when they don't we think they are wrong. I have heard more than one person point out that in that part of the world it is about tribes more than nations. Nations the West actually carved out.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:502718
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.