Agnostic.com

7 0

Mental: How do you mentally prepare for a race?

AstralSmoke 8 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

how can one prepare for the human race, when we have already been conditioned from birth, with religious rhetoric and lies.

We (those on this site) are hopefully beyond that now.

When I was running, I always had a routine. I would make sure I was physically ready in the weeks ahead, by doing the necessary running. On the morning of the race, I would go through the motions like always. I got up, drank coffee, showered, got dressed, grab a bottle of water to drink on the way there and go race. I never really thought about it much on race day.

Hi,

College track runner here, but I don't know what to say since I don't know what you are racing. Triathlon? Cycling? 5k? Half marathon? Etc.

Take your pick. Should have said competition.

You actually walk the course. Then you visualize yourself at particular points in the race and develop tactics for maximizing your performance in the race. You also visualize what the physical tolls are at any particular point and steel yourself for the price you are going to have to pay. You know when you are going to need an extra burst and when you are just going to have to grind your teeth and push on.

I’m not a competitive type, never in a hurry so racing isn’t part of my life’s repatoire.

Concentrate on winning through strategy + will. The strategy to be employed differs depending on the type of race, but the will is a constant.

play every possible scenario through my head repeatedly

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5031
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.