Agnostic.com

11 1

How do humans perceive the world. Is it reality that affects our views or do we all live a different reality?

• 15 votes
  • 12 votes
Abigail96 5 Nov 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your reality is what you make it, but sadly we live in a world where peoples realities are programmed and misleading

My reality affects my view and we all have differing 'realities'.

@Abigail96 Yes, in the middle. Stuck in the middle. Stuck in the middle with you.

Reality affects my view of the world.
It's the only view I'm capable of interacting with.

@Abigail96 It doesn't matter how many realities there could be, I'm forced to believe only in what I can perceive as reality like the one you and I are interacting with each other in right now.

I think it would be more of a combination of hte two.

Reality affects the world we live in, but we do nlt all perceive reality in the same ways.

We are all the Gods of our individual Universe.

Human beings are gifted at cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias. It is really difficult to believe any of us have a complete hold on reality. I follow science and I believe that evidence is the key to finding truth. But I admit as anyone should, that I manipulate the evidence to mold my world view. We all are guilty. To get as close to reality as possible we should surround ourselves with those people who might take us out of comfort zones. Debating topics is as close as we can get to reality. Unfortunately most of us are bad at doing that. I like many of my fellow atheists condemn right wing Christians for living in a protective bubble, but really all of us who live in bubbles should not be throwing stones.

Perception has a very strong effect on a person. This can do with self esteem, it can do with dealing with trauma, it controls where we were in life, but if you perceive a wall as anything other than a wall you're going to have issues.

An interesting and mind bogglingly complex view of the universe. I tend to view the universe anthropically , that is the universe requires an observer, to quote Descartes: "Dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum." (I doubt, therefore I think, therefore I am). In my mind, it is arrogant of humans to think they are the only observers. Trees stretch their green leaves to the sun, because they 'know' the sun is there. Under a microscope, poke an amoeba and it will move away. If the universe is contingent/reliant upon such a myriad of life forms then the reality of the universe is fleeting and for a specific observer even change based on the observer's fickle changes in perspective.

Ruadh Level 3 Nov 24, 2017

Your question is a contrived one. We interact with the physical world and use those interactions to construct cognitive patterns and maps. We also derive schema or tactics for interacting with our world. But, many things intervene in those interactions -- chemical imbalances in our own bodies, cultural norms and beliefs which we have internalized, our past experiences, the patterns of meaning we have already constructed. the effectiveness of our cognitive schema, etc. Of course reality affects us, but our perception of that reality is never entirely truly accurate.

I can’t really answer this as it is asked. No one experiences the world in the same way I do. For example, no one else is currently experiencing the view from my chair. But the view from my chair is not a separate reality. My living room, house, street, etc., exists even if you never experience it. Reality is the set of all things real.

I think you may be using “reality” in a poetic or rhetorical sense that we can never share the exact same experiences. Our world views are shaped by our experiences: our education, the things we read, the people we spend time with, etc. All of those influences are real, and everyone’s world views are different.

It seems reasonable to suppose a range of subjectivity/objectivity informing our awareness. Experiencing a 2x4 upside the head is pretty damn objective and a couple a glasses of wine and a few of Chopin's Nocturnes much more subjective. To reduce all experience to one category or the other seems simplistic and missing out on all kinds of fun.

Nice. Thanks for that!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:5037
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.