Agnostic.com

4 7

LINK Minneapolis City Council members announce intent to defund and dismantle the city's police department - CNN

HUGE news! Last night the Minneapolis Mayor was booed off stage when he said he did not support defunding/dismantling the police, today...he was met with a City Council that said, "That's what we're doing."

💜

SeaGreenEyez 9 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am hopeful that will happen here in Long Beach ( a slightly larger city than Minneapolis, BTW).

We have had thousands of peaceful demonstrators in the streets this weekend demanding defund and dismantle. City Council Members are making favorable noises.

The LBPD has had a good relationship with the activists up until this week. They have been the guys who blocked traffic for the marches and made sure no troublemakers caused problems. Those are the decent cops. This week the protesters got to see some of the other cops (picture attached).

In Long Beach we don't view excess force by the police as a racial issue. Our cops are equal opportunity killers. They murder black, brown, and white people.

Before I get too hopeful, I have to note that a report just came out that the Police Union has contributed $500,000 to the Mayor's campaigns over the last 5 years.

As you can see, this picture from Long Beach got world wide attention.

@SeaGreenEyez, two cases that involve white guys come to mind happened since I moved here 10 years ago.

In the first case a guy was sitting on the steps up to his porch in a decidedly upscale (i.e., on the beach) part of town. He was holding the pistol shaped nozzle of a garden hose. The police used that as the excuse for murdering him.

The second case involved someone who flipped out and went berserk with a pair of scissors in Target. The police showed up just as her was leaving. They chased him in his car to the beach. While he was running away from them down the beach they shot him in the back. It was cold blooded murder.

@SeaGreenEyez, a lot of white people are complacent because they believe it can't happen to them.

Over 40% of the people killed by cops in the US since 2017 have been white. Of course over 20% have been black.

Whites make up 70%, while blacks make up just under 13%.

So, while blacks are overrepresented in police killings, and whites are underrepresented, it can and does happen to whites. We should all be protesting.

@SeaGreenEyez, Native Americans are such a small percentage of the total population that their statistics get lumped in with "Others."

I have had conversations with Native American friend who have made me aware of this.

The thing about the article that surprises me is the fact it was published. Although I'm not surprised it came out on Democracy Now.

Cancell all pensions and unemployment claims of cops....hire unemployed black citizens to patrol Minneapolis to OBSERVE law breakers and turn over licence plates to sheriff & state patrol

Finally a city with balls to tell the Nazis to fuck off..

Yikes revamping may work better

bobwjr Level 10 June 7, 2020

@SeaGreenEyez as long as they ren't bringing back the undead ... re-vampirizing anyone?

@SeaGreenEyez then cool 😎

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:503873
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.