Agnostic.com

4 0

The Results Are in for Remote Learning: It Didn't Work

[msn.com]

FearlessFly 9 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that for the fall, schools should encourage parents to homeschool and pay for secular materials of the parent’s choosing.

. . . opinion

All of society benefits from an educated youth, so I advocate that all adults should pay a "flat rate" to fund K-12. Since there is no logical connection between educating youth and owning property, I would also advocate an across the board VAT for that -- surely I wouldn't get elected to office on that platform. I would also advocate that families having more kids should (aside from the flat rate) pay more to fund their kids education -- why should childless folks (I'm not one of those) pay for it ?
Surely I would not get elected to (any) office on that platform ! 😮 😛

I have never heard of schools encouraging parents to home-school, much less 'paying for secular materials'. They already are largely underfunded. YMMV

@FearlessFly schools in various areas in America provide funds for curriculum, materials, and extracurriculars, and Alaska pays families to just homeschool. The amounts involved vary by location. I do think that schools should all receive equal funds, adjusted for local inflation. I don’t see how else we can address the terrible wealth disparities between different schools and districts. As for certain families paying more if they have more kids, that would make sense if we had a simple “school” tax, or something, instead of a property tax. But then we’d have an issue with people having fewer children, I’d imagine. Great for the environment, of course, but not great for the economy.

So, that's why rich people thru out the centuries preferred tutors for their kids? Bollocks to this!

It’s worked fairly well for my son. But I will admit that he started slacking off more as time went on. He needs to be self-directed, and that’s hard for a 10-year-old to maintain day in and day out for 3 months. Even harder for the littler ones.

There wasn’t enough time to set it up properly and get organized. Online school works for some students.

True on both counts. Online success at my home is 50/50, though the kid who does it well does not like it.

@Zster A guy in my household is very successful.

Australia's school of the air was all that was available to some children until relatively recently.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:503900
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.