Agnostic.com

5 2

The BLM movement has managed to do something both interesting and remarkable, and more complex than it appears. It is rare that government bodies even go through the motions of change in response to protests, and yet that is exactly what has happened. The result is that many aspects of it have become a third rail for liberal people and politicians. What I see is that increasingly, the deaths of innocent blacks by police is being framed as being narrowly the result of police being racists, and that perspective yields a fairly narrow path of response--defunding police is now the popular cry. I think it is natural to want to have a single cause to a problem, but it make take away from our ability to correct the problem. So, lets say that we looked at numbers rather than anecdotes, and assume that we are sitting with a list for the last 10 years of all the deaths of innocents by police, and then ask what is the pattern here. I would suspect that in all the hot spot areas, there is a remarkable number of weapons on the streets, and that there are very few jobs. Might not these also be causal, and not just the racism of police. I suspect movement towards economic opportunities and effective gun control would do more good in the long run than labeling police as racist. And I do understand that police racism is a part of the problem, but if we label it as the only problem, the bigger issues will not be corrected. And I think there is a level of institutional racism in many police departments, but it may be useful to look further. I suspect those arguing to dismantle police unions may have additional agendas, and that the bigger need is attitudinal. I suspect many police departments tend to simply keep replicating themselves, selecting new folks who are just like the ones there now, so that police department folks may change values slower than the rest of the population. It is also worth looking at equipment--you arm them like a warring army and they will act that way more often. Seems like just recently there was a flood of more or less military gear moved from the federal to the state level. Also, the state of our military will effect the nature of our police, for that is a common career path, out of the military and into a police department. Continuous war creates a different mix of vets. And a universal draft would produce a different military and eventually a different sort of police recruit. So, I have touched the third rail, lol.

DavidDuhon 7 June 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with your points. Defund the police and rethink their training while refunding social programs to help the mentally, needy, homeless, etc.

I think outlooks/outcomes could quckly return to 2 things, if the climate was provided for it:

1. Innocent until proven guilty.
  2. Police supposed to Protect & Serve.

This may require getting rid of all current cops, and vetting each one before/if rehiring........the cancer runs deep!

I have been frustrated all along that lost in the debate over police brutality and racism is the pivotal problem of utter lack of common sense gun control. The atreets are awash in high powered weaponry, and the police, racist or not, are asked to do an impossible job there is no way for them to head out on shift without it feeling like rhey are geaded to war. Even more true when they head out to countless people protesting them(at least it myst feel like they are targets). We will never be rid of the Rambo cop mentality so long as every day going to work feels like a war front.

I agree with all your points, but use paragraphs...

Thats what defunding is all about. Not eliminating police, but changing what programs get less funding and what programs need better funding. It's about taking money from programs that have demonstrated that they are not having any substantial impact in stopping or preventing crime and assuring public safety. Then moving that money that have been traditionally underfunded, but show promise as to bring proactive and positively impacting crime prevention.

Research has recently shown that if monies are put in youth programs and youth prevention programs that they have the ability to have a positive long term impact in heading off future crime. That is the proposal when cities say defund. Its redirecting finances to more proactive programs.

Besides until we demilitarize our police forces and deconstruct their present law enforcement paradigm, I not sure anything will help. Back to Protect and Serve as a part of a community, as opposed to Rule and Enforce as it stands bow.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:504029
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.