Agnostic.com

9 11

Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

Upon arrival to work today, our manager informed us that we have a dept coworker that tested positive for Coronavirus over the weekend, and they would be contacting those who were working cases with her last week to instruct on exposure recommendations. I had heard some water cooler conversation about who it was, and had not only worked in the same case with her all of Friday, but she was visibly ill, kept coughing and looked like shit, but kept insisting it was an allergy issue. She wore her surgical mask around her neck the entire time we were setting up for the case. She became so short of breath during the case she decided to take off her N95 respirator and wore a simple surgical mask for the rest of the case. By this afternoon I was called in and officially informed of who it was, and that due to extended exposure, I needed to call the employee hotline for instructions.

There I am told that I need to monitor my temp 2x day and report any new symptoms (I currently have none) and that I should isolate and quarantine myself from others at home for 14 days, but I should still report to work, required to wear a mask at all times. I can get tested by request and will, even if I don't develop symptoms, once I get a bit further into the incubation period. I've shipped one son off to his father's and the other is happy to simply treat me like a leper for the next two weeks.

I'd ask for thoughts and prayers, but I'm not really into that sort of thing. 😉
But, here's to hoping I effectively dodged the bullet. I am an introvert, so quarantine ain't no big thing for me. I just have an auto excuse to not be getting out and about with everyone else right now. 🙂

Amzungu 8 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm appalled for you. They should be sending you home with pay until you are tested safe and the 14 days are up.

I'm beginning to think people are such idiots that workplaces need to institute a brow scan at the door to check for a temperature. (Like they did at my Dr's office before they let us in).

Gees.... Best wishes that this pass you by. ❤

Agreed! (and thank you!)

@Amzungu and a brain scan. It sounds they are a missing theirs.

Good luck. Your coworker needs a boot to the ass.

So sorry that that happened to you, sucks that you still have to work after exposer at work.

Does sound pretty crappy when you put it that way.

Good luck !

I honestly can’t believe they want you at work. Every other company I know requires folks with “extended close contact” to self-quarantine — at home — for 14 days.

Yeah, I am more than a little uncomfortable with that. I will get tested later this week, and hopefully that will give me some reassurance that I am not out there harming others, but I want to get well into the incubation period so it's not false security. I am diligent about the miserable PPE, so will do my part to minimize risk, but damn, just doesn't seem quite like best practice, then, what do I know? It's too new for anyone to KNOW. Sigh.

report to work??!??

Right? Therein lies the "Hmmm..."

Wow, that sucks. I'm sorry your coworker was so inconsiderate.

Pamper yourself a bit - or even a lot - to keep up your immune system (or just to make you feel good), and sending virtual hugs and good wishes to you.

I certainly don't like the unnecessary exposure, but I felt sorry for her at the time. She had been called in specifically for a complex case that she is experienced with, and was obviously miserable, but was also confident it was allergies. She was plenty apologetic about the times she had her mask off, and was just trying to get through the surgery. The N95s ARE horribly restrictive, and even without symptoms become difficult to breathe well after hours of extended use. All of our patients are tested right before surgery, except emergent cases of course, and I think we just get settled into thinking our risk is known because our dept is so protected and stringent with PPE policies. I think it is easy for some to forget we sometimes also pose an unknown risk to each other. Reminder received. 😉

@Amzungu Oh, gee, I feel sorry for her as well. You guys have enough stress already, and if something can slip through all those safeguards, it's a reminder for all of us who don't follow those procedures. Hopefully her symptoms don't get any worse ... and that you don't get any at all.

Here's good energy coming your way. Isn't that what thoughts and prayers amount to anyway.

Absolutely. (and thank you!)

Thoughts and prayers anyway.

skado Level 9 June 9, 2020

I can work with that. (thank you!)

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:504539
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.