Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK Confessions of a former bastard cop.

Worth the read. If you start it, I suggest finishing it.

Riviks 4 June 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Agree that it is well worth the read, thank you for posting. It serves as confirmation.

This piece sure disinflates the argument that the police can be " reformed"!

Indeed. Defund the police is sounding better and more sane every day.

Remember when ALL the air traffic controllers were fired just for going on strike for better work conditions? It's not like they would randomly crash plans and then cover up for each other...

I would love to see the Trumpsters, Republicams, conservatives. Libertarians, and so called protectors of capitalism on the web site read this all the way through. That is they are capable of it.

t1nick Level 8 June 10, 2020

The guy claims to have been a big city cop in California. Do not assume that one person’s perspective is correct for everyone. There is no such corruption most places.

Actually I very much doubt if the story is legitimate. It devolved into an anti-capitalist rant toward the end, and I strongly suspect that the whole thing is nothing but slanted propaganda by radicals hoping to bring armed revolution to our country.

I sometimes vote Libertarian. Do you actually think that a radical left-leaning article like this will make anyone suddenly see the light and adopt your political opinions? Don’t hold your breath.

One of the strongest principles of Libertarianism is reverence for equality and civil rights. If you favor individual freedom you should vote Libertarian. If you advocate the destruction of our economic system I’m not sure which party is for you. Communism seems to be defunct.

@WilliamFleming

Once again we disagree over most of your points. And Libertarians concept of reverence for equality and civil rights is only true if they are getting what they selfishly think is owed to them. I studied Ayn Rand in college and belonged to the Objectivist organization until I saw the errors if my ways. Ayn Rand tends to a darling of the white privilege which have the power to force their will.

@WilliamFleming

Most of the Libertarians I've met on this site could care less about civil rights or equity unless it's there civil rights and their definition of equity as it pertains to them.

@t1nick isn't that pretty much a requirement to be a "true libertarian"?

@OwlInASack

I would concur with this. Achieving a pure ideological ideal is almost impossible for any population of humans. First it demands that everybody is not only aware and understand the precepts underlying the ideology, but consciously strive to uphold them.

It presumes a certain amount of altruism, assuredly at some point the ideology will ask or demand something from it practioners that is uncomfortable or difficult.

There is more than one way to practice Capitalism. The underlying paradigm presently is both predatory and cannibalistic. The propensity over the last few decades for the popularity of hostile takeovers limiting the competitive field is both the cannibalistic and predatory. It benefits the predator in the short run, but it strangles the market in the long run by limiting or destroying innovation brought about by competition.

There are other models that are longer term thinking. There is a model that I prefer that is patterned after evolutionary principles. It seeks to make businesses and markets seek maximum "fitness" to perpetuate ad infinitum. It takes care of all stakeholders involved in that market.

@Bobby9

I always question the true underlying agenda and motivations of all Libertarians. There seems to be a propensity for so-called practioners to misunderstand Ayn Rand's use of selfishness.

Most of the Libertarians I encountered here and elsewhere are mostly people who do not want to be told what they can or cannot do at anytime. They tend not to want to be accountable and responsiblevfor their actions and behaviors. The philosophy tends to be favorable by those that want to hang onto the paradigm of white privilege.

Their selfishness is not geared to a system to true economic stability and fairness. Rather a selfishness born of only self interest and a desire to have to answer for their actions.

IMO

@t1nick Ayn Rand did not invent Libertarianism. Its roots go back to prehistory. I think that to appreciate Libertarianism you’d need more exposure than to just a group of college students. You are talking about a group of people and your judgment of them to be selfish, and that has little to do with the Libertarian perspective in general.

Libertarians as well as many conservatives have the utmost love, admiration and respect for their fellow humans, and in fact the central tenet of Libertarianism is respect for individuals and a belief that people are capable of learning to take care of their own self-interests. It is the agape kind of love so ably described in the essays of MLK. We love because loving is a logical necessity, not because we are trying to be good people. or because of a fuzzy warm sentimental feeling such as one would have for a child, or because of a feeling of pity.

Leftists try to project an image of great love for their fellow humans, but that image is founded in arrogance and elitism. By dividing humanity into classes and forming negative judgments about the classes they commit the original error, divorcing themselves from unity with all and setting themselves up as superior in morality and intelligence—something like a mother tending her children.

Read MalcomX’s assessment of White liberals and you’ll see what I mean. No one needs or wants over-solicitous mother hens, especially in government.

@WilliamFleming

No she did not, I agree. But so often Libertarians on this site quote Ayn Rand as their basis for justifying their selfishness. That's a nice claim regarding the supposed love of humankind by Libertarians, but it rings hollow when you look at the evidence of their actions. People like Rand Paul do not love his fellow humankind unless they are white and rich. Libertarians by in large lean towards white privilege in my experience.

When I was invovled in the Objectivist Society I was working on my second undergrauate degree and in my upper twenties. I did an independent study in Philosophy on Ayn Rand. If college isn't the place to get a diversity of ideas and opinions, then no place exists for such intellectual exchange. And yes I know the recent conservative complaint about the stifling of conservative dialog on college campuses. In my experience, it was Christian right which was getting professors fired for expousing left leaning ideas or presenting the real facts about historical events.

@OwlInASack

About two decades ago there was a movement by some companies to offer profit sharing to their employees. For instance, Whole Foods offered stock to employees as part of their hiring package. It was meant to incentivize the employees to care more about how the company did.

If the company did well, then the company would prosper, stock prices would increase and be worth more bringing more income to its employees. Now I see the downside being that many employees do not understand or invest in the market and their meager stock gift would not bring them much. But the idea of profit sharing is worth contemplating further.

@t1nick In a nutshell, they are selfish people who don't believe in sharing. That has been my experience with most Libertarians.

@Fred_Snerd

That was tried in the 60's and most communes fell apart because many participants were interested in the philosophic ideals. Rather they were just interested in dropping out and being part of the mainstream society. Participation due to rebellion, and not dedication to an ideal.

@Fred_Snerd

I grew up in the 60's and 70's. Numerous communes sprung up around Taos. The majority eventually disbanded due dysfunction and membes not commited to ideals.

@Fred_Snerd

??????

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:504857
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.