Agnostic.com

11 1

Anybody have a thought or belief on what, if anything, came before the Big bang? Why was there a Big Bang in the first place? No, this isn't a trick question to elicit a Creator, for then the question becomes what was there before the Creator.

If you believe the Big Bang is part of an endless repeating cycle, how did the repeating cycles come to exist? No, this is not a trick question to elicit a Creator, as that would just ask the question of how the Creator was created.

For crying out loud, a Creator does not answer the question of why there is a universe. Knock it off!

GlyndonD 7 Apr 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am not convinced re the big bang, so my mind is totally open on this one. I do not see why things are not popping in and out of existence all the time.

I’ve alway been curious if nothingness is just a human concept. As though we can’t fathom that something has just always been there. With no beginning or end.

The Universe is infinite and eternal - the bb was a relatively recent event, that is part of the normal cycle of expansion and collapse of galaxies.

gater Level 7 Apr 5, 2018

In my opinion, that's the question without an answer. Just thinking about it is driving me nuts. The science is making progress. Step by step is moving toward explanation of that problem. But I believe that as the universe is infinite (or as Einstein explained, curved) so is the route to scientific answer. This why it was so easy believing in creation, because it came up with at least some theory. Religion is a theory, make believe, opium for the people, coming up with ready-to-believe doctrines. A science teaches us patience. The miracles of yesterday are pretty much explainable today. So let's wait for the science to explain to us how the Big Bang's happened and what was before it. They say that our brains are used only in 10% of their capacity, so maybe we have to wait for them to develop more so we can comprehend the unexplained secrets of the universe. Religions are not welcomed... All this what I have written are my own, amateurish thoughts and I am waiting for possible corrections from the smarter than myself, people. Greetings!

As I see it, we have 2 options, something from nothing or something eternal. I have recently been in a debate on this very question. He said that something being eternal is impossible because of the infinite regression fallacy. Then he says that his god isn't subject to the infinite regression fallacy because his God is timeless and spaceless. Good dodge? I think the universe is eternal and showed him that infinite regression is not a fallacy. I'm waiting for him to counter my arguments.

Yes . I even have a different theory. In Haiti they have a saying, It seem right but it is not right. The singularity is just a theory . They can be many more.

Probably before the first singularity it was a different universe, one which is destroyed by the cosmic birth of another. I like to think it’s something like the collapse of the greatest black hole which causes the Big Bang. The self-destructive pull of al matter in the universe to a single point would probably have to have a great mass to it, and all the energy in the universe too, so upon its cascades the bonds of gravity lose to the strong and weak nuclear forces and thus you have the release of the first glimpses of our universe.

Well said.

Who knows? But it is fun to think about

A singularity existed..about the size of grapefruit an infinitely condensed ball of hot primordial everything.

There are some question that simply can not be completely answered even though the questions are continually being asked. Fortunately this particular question has little to no impact on daily living. IMHO

No idea too deep.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:50531
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.